• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How much $ for expendables for paint job?

blu67

What can I expect to pay for expendable materials (sandpaper, paint, clear, etc.) for a paint job? Dave and I are working out labor rate for painting my car but materials are my responsibility. I have no idea what to expect for a modern paint job.

I'm just a hobbyist, so I typically use products that aren't the economy lines, but also won't use the expensive stuff if I'm painting it myself. Paint can get very expensive and all the ancellaries add up. Count on at least a $1000 for materials.

I'm working on my El Camino right now, here's about what I paid for materials over the last year.

Epoxy primer - at least $120 for 1 gallon sprayable.
Filler - $30
Urethane primer - at least $125 for 1.25 sprayable
glazing filler - $20
Metallic Color - $80 - $150+ per quart, count on at least 3 quarts.
Basemaker - 75 per Gallon
Clear - 80 to 400 for 1.25 sprayable gallons.
Sandpaper, etc... $75-$150
Paper / tape - $50-80
Cutting / Polishing $40-$80

It's hard to price body materials because there is a huge variance on the primers, colors and clear coats, etc.... The best thing to do is work with Dave to see what materials he prefers. You don't want to deviate from what the painter is accustomed to using as this will give you the best chance of getting a quality job. Stick to their formula.

For myself, I've stuck to the formula my local jobber prescribed to me as a hobbyist back in '96.
I've been using Nason primers (Owned by Dupont), and Dupont Chromabase for base color coat. For clears I use what ever the local jobber reccomends for a good in-expensive clearcoat.

When I had the shop paint my Mustang, the painter insisted on Spies Hecker basecoat which was 140/quart and Dupon't high end clear that was almost $400 / gallon.
I painted the underside of the hood and decklid at home using the chromabase for $70 / quart and cheap Tremco $80 clear. It looks fine, but the materials the painter used on the exterior body look richer. You do get what you pay for, but that doesn't necessarily mean you must use the topline paint materials. You can still get an awesome paint job form basic "jobber" materials.

I hope that helps...

you'll hate this answer- Depends., Color,Brand,Quality,Location
800$-2000$
In my area you can get everything for 1,000$ or less I like 3M paper/tape it's worth the extra 10$. If you find a good Auto body supply store the can give you a good qoute/ Or talk to the guy who's spraying/sanding and see what he is comfortable with.

Dave and his crew will be doing All the body work and paint so I'm sure Dave has a preferred brand of stuff. Then again, he does work on higher dollar cars than my simple car.

It depends on the color you are going with for sure. I've painted both my mustang and my landcruiser and what I've discovered is that in general, the prices have gone up all around over the last 5 years for sure. I went cheap on the landcruiser and spent 500 for everything. I had leftover sandpaper and other supplies but the paint is where you will pay. High end PPG can cost you 300/gallon + depending on the color your choose. The clear is 250+ but where you pay is the additive to the product in order to make it work. It can easily go over a grand on BC/CC plus the primers, high build and other stuff they will need.

Whole car start to finish with good materials: $1500 to $2500 depending on color. Dark red pearl colors can cost $1200 a gallon easily for the good stuff, and that's just the basecoat.

Doug

I'm going with the stock Acapulco Blue. It's a metallic so I'm sure there is some increased cost over non-metallics but it's nothing fancy.

My painted offered two different options when I said I wanted a deep black with no flake.

Just primer, paint & clear coat:
PPG products - about $750
Dupont's Super Jet Black - about $1300

However, before I selected the higher end product, I was fortunate to see 2 different Cobra replicas in his shop. One had the PPG black and the other the Dupont black. Both paint jobs looked great, but when both cars were sitting side by side, the Dupont black looked significantly darker and deeper.

my 2 cents.

Back