• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How to fill holes in pass.fender?

So, I picked up a new driver's side fender for my '67 coupe. It's a repop one for about $150.00. Now my problem is that the new fender doesn't have the holes to mount the "M-U-S-T-A-N-G" letters and emblem. I'm cool with that, but what's the best way to fill the holes on the passenger fender to get them to match? I've been told to weld the holes shut, but since I'm not a welder, is there a good putty or filler to use? If it works, I'll likely do the same to the holes in the hood and decklid. Thanks.

welding is best for a trouble free repair, but if you use a filler, dimple the hole a little, grind the area to bare metal & use short strand fiberglass reinforced filler.

It seems like filler has a real dislike for round holes. I have seen many cracked out after a bit. I have had two '66's this way and both were welded with a wire welder. Never a problem.

If you're handy with fiberglass, you can grind the backside and apply a layer back there. After it cures, grind the front side and apply filler as necessary. I did that on mine.

you should add your location. maybe you can find someone close by to weld up the holes for you.

or you could just add the letters as your car originally had.

"buckeyedemon" said:
you should add your location. maybe you can find someone close by to weld up the holes for you.

or you could just add the letters as your car originally had.

Use the pin letters on one fender, and adhesive version on the other.

"lethal289" said:
Use the pin letters on one fender, and adhesive version on the other.

Midlife has one Ford replacement fender, and that was exactly what I did. I took careful measurements off of the original and glued the emblems on the other. Looks great!

Back