• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

how to seat upholstery

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
Anyone knows where i can find a article on how to redo upholstery.

I mean a step by step process. Or a book .Thx :amaz :amaz

Rick
Thanks for the offer , wil get back to you if i need some.
Article is good.Saw a simular one in MustangMonthly but it is some kind of vage article.
Meanwhile i know that the upholstery has to be warmed up by sunlight or infrared light.
A thin plastic foil has to putover the foam so the upholstery slips easily over the foam.

No one knows the excistens of a book or video? :ide

I've got a DVD floating around here somewhere, I'll toss it in the package I mail you on Monday. It came with the seat covers I bought from Mr Mike for the Fiero seats I did a couple years ago. It pretty informative.

I've not seen or used a book, but a trick that I've learned is when trying to....

.... pull and clasp the cloth encased metal rods that form the bolsters. It seems like an almost imposible task to "pull" the rod through the foam and hold it against the seat's spring frame while you're simultaneously trying to install the hog rings into the metal rod/seat frame springs. What I've done is use safety wire to "pull" the rod flush with the seat frame. While the safety wire is holding everything it free's up both hands to install the hog rings. After the hog rings are installed the safety wire can be easily removed.

I was thinking the same way.I was thinking of using those plastic tie straps to grap everything together.

Good luck. I gave up and took mine to a shop this week. He said that what he sometimes does is to remove the wire frame from the seat and hog ring the upholstery through the foam to the wire frame and then hog ring the assembled cushion to the seat frame.

I would never use plastic zip ties for a long time job. Hog rings are far better lasting.

"cmayna" said:
I would never use plastic zip ties for a long time job. Hog rings are far better lasting.

The safety-wire/zip-tie trick is only to cinch everything together so that the hog rings can be installed.

"cmayna" said:
Duct tape works much better than plastic zip ties. :craz

"cmayna" said:
"daveSanborn" said:
The safety-wire/zip-tie trick is only to cinch everything together so that the hog rings can be installed.

Thats what i am thinking/meant.

Back