• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

hydraulic clutch idea

Dne'

Hi, just toying with this idea of the hydraulic clutch. I think it's doable, just getting input from y'all. Keep in mind this is very crude as I haven't bought even a clutch pedal yet! So it's just all an idea with some mocking;)
dne'

Obviously the vise grips represent the clutch pedal and cardboard the actuator.

the wiper motor presents an obstacle, but extending the clutch shaft can get by it.

This steering shaft on ebay for about 20 bucks is 3/4" diameter.

dissecting this rag joint with a 36" spline, it would allow some "adjustment" for the actuator rod.

These bearings are 3/4 id and 1 3/8 od would replace the existing clutch holes.

This is from performance parts warehouse for about 360.oo less the hydraulic hose. The problem is the MC in the pic with the 90 degree fitting makes the total length of 4.25", the room there is 4.5", that's not including the hydraulic hose attachment nut. Perhaps another MC could be used.

this area behind the drivers side cylinder head, theres a bunch of room and the tape is an approximation where a hydraulic mc would go.

In the meantime, I'm in touch with a fellow for an alternative approach as well.

I got a kit and had it installed by a company that has since gone out of business. I absolutely love my hydraulic clutch in my 67. Well my Subaru and my Shelbey have them standard.

I remember having a cable clutch once and it cracked the firewall.

I remember both my El Camino and my 66 Mustang having a Z bar and a heavy clutch. Both were tough in traffic. My 66 felt like I needed two feet to push it in after an hour in LA traffic.

You will not regret buying the peddal assembly with the ball bearings and a hydraulic clutch. You will never want to go back.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t try to reinvent the wheel too much. Lots of proven ways to skin the cat. Rollerizing the clutch pedal is a very good idea. Cheap and easy. It’s also very cheap and easy to make a version of the MDL clutch pedal to MC linkage. The masteritself is cheap and available from all kinds of sources. This setup will work with everything else in your car as is. From there the only realmchoice should be slave cylinder or hydraulic throw out bearing. The latter costs more but is the best way to go for a number of reasons. It’s cleaner being a big one. No exhaust worries, for example. I can tell you it is worth every penny compared to other solutions. All the new cars use them for a reason.

I splurged and went with Modern Drive Line set-up in my 67. I really like it. well engineered kit.

Back