• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hydraulic Clutch Swap on a Toploader

Starfury

So in my research for good headers (FPA) for my car, I've come to the realization that I may need to convert to a hydraulic clutch to avoid issues with the z-bar linkage. This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as I've already broken one lower clutch linkage rod through normal use, and it might be nice to have a smoother, lighter clutch to make the car less of a bear to drive.

There are no external slave kits that are designed for a toploader (no mounting options on the bellhousing), so I'm looking at hydraulic TO bearing kits. From what I can tell, my options are American Powertrain and Modern Driveline. I'm leaning towards Modern Driveline's kit because of the slick altered-geometry pedal linkage, but I'd like to get some opinions from those who have done this.

The Car:
67 fastback, 331, close-ratio toploader, manual brakes

Last edited:
I always side with the Modern Driveline kit. While we are using the external slave, we have their pedal linkage and all works well. Plus Bruce and his team are top notch.

Back