• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hydraulic throw-out bearing?

tarafied1

Anyone using a hydraulic throw-out bearing in a classic Mustang?
I have had about enough of the C6 slush box. Seriously looking at a TKO swap. Since the car is an auto, I need everything to convert so I figured that would be the best way to go. I have no experience with one however.

I put a Tilton in mine. Did a lot of research and decided this was the way I wanted to go. There seems to have been issues in the past with problems but given the success in SO many modern cars and everything I learned about Tilton in particular I am confident in the decision. They aren't cheap. Something north of $300. Makes for a clean installation/look too. I can get you more detail on part numbers and such of all the parts I used if you like. Just let me know.

I am looking at getting a quote from American Powertrain and Modern Drivline for the whole thing. I've tried pricing and piecing together the parts individually. I want to see if they can cut a deal on a package. But yes, I want to request the hydraulic throw-out as my set-up. If it's not too much trouble, a part number(s) would be great. I have seen prices well above $300 but I don't want a bunch of funky linkage or issues with the firewall strength on a cable and so on. If I am going to spend $2,500 on a trans, $600 on a bell housing, and so on, I don't mind spending more on the hydraulic throw-out bearing and have a clean reliable install.
This car has been a 26 year project and started on a very tight budget. As I get older and tired of billy rigged stuff or the short cuts I took in the past I am willing to spend more to do it right!

The one I needed was a 60-6104 with a T5. If you're going TKO you would need the 60-6102. You can save a few bucks buying the bearing somewhere other than MDL but i completely get the willingness to buy a full package. Issue I had with a "kit" approach was that I didn't find anything that was complete with the components I wanted. I used MDL's pedal linkage and bought my own MC and reservoir more for personal design reasons. Nothing wrong with the MDL hardware but if I did it again I would make my own and save a bunch. Rightfully so, he charges for his design and development more so than the actual pieces but at least you know it is a proven design that fits our cars.

You may still want to beef up the firewall. There's a bit of flex in the stock piece even when using a hydraulic set-up.

I originally planned on using a hydraulic throw out bearing, but Bruce at Modern Driveline talked me out of it. Now mind you this was 5-6 years ago when they were beginning to come on strong. That being said, I will most likely use one on my next build. I think the folks at Modern are top notch and can really walk you through the process. they have a nice clutch pedal linkage for the top end of the hydraulic setup and it will work with either the hydraulic throw out, or the master/slave set up like we are using. either way it puts minimal stress on the firewall. I am glad to see you are going to go forward, it will really bring new life to that beast of a motor you have. Make sure you document the process.

thanks for the help and support. I will be sure to document it and share my experience. Slowly the car is becoming more and more updated and not so crude and rude!

what do you guys think of this TO bearing?
http://americanpowertrain.com/i-852...ko-t45-3650-ford-t5-ford-t56-ford-magnum.html
they quoted me $5,612 for EVERYTHING I need to do the conversion. That's Bell, Flywheel, motor plate, clutch, pilot bearing, pressure plate, hyd. throwout with all the hardware, reservoir etc., trans, shifter, shift knob, crossmember, drive shaft, u-joints, speedo cable and gear, clutch and brake pedals, nuts & bolts, etc. etc. they said the trans is modified so it will clear tunnel with little to no modification needed also.

with the money I save by not doing the HRPT this year, selling off some of my Mustang parts I have hoarded and maybe a kidney, I should be able to swing it...

http://americanpowertrain.com/i-852...ko-t45-3650-ford-t5-ford-t56-ford-magnum.html
they quoted me $5,612 for EVERYTHING I need to do the conversion. That's Bell, Flywheel, motor plate, clutch, pilot bearing, pressure plate, hyd. throwout with all the hardware, reservoir etc., trans, shifter, shift knob, crossmember, drive shaft, u-joints, speedo cable and gear, clutch and brake pedals, nuts & bolts, etc. etc. they said the trans is modified so it will clear tunnel with little to no modification needed also.
No reference to share on the bearing but that optional reservoir is the one I bought from the actual manufacturer of it in your neck of the woods even! It is a beautifully machined piece. I will say that is a big number you quote for the full conversion. Keisler used to say their trans would fit without mods too. I remember Sanborn had a personal vendetta against that claim. Seems others did too. Drive angle issues mainly. Is this American Powertrain a rebirth of same operation? If you had to mod the tunnel a bit to be correct I doubt you would find that to be the end of the world anyway.

I watched those two videos on that link you posted. Got me nervous again. I installed my bearing the same day we ({.}) bolted the trans to the engine and dropped them into the car. We were thrashing a lot together very quickly and I remember thinking that night that maybe I set the gap too narrow. Been one of those back of the brain things just lurking making me crazy. I almost want to pull the trans just to be sure it is set properly. Then again, I tend to obsess over stuff like that. Freakin' Mark. All his fault.

That looks like a decent TO bearing setup, but like Terry I have had no experience with that one. I would suggest you get a competing bid from Modern Driveline, but my guess is they both will come in at similar prices. I have no experience with American, but see they pay for lots of ad time on the car shows on TV.....take that for what it is.

Thats the reservoir I bought also. Pretty sure I got it direct also.

I bought a T5 off Craigslist and got my hydraulic set up through Modern Driveline. I went with the internal slave.

thanks Guys!!! I just got the Modern Driveline quote today, it was just $200 more so very close. They both (American Powertrain and Modern Driveline) include in the quote a custom low profile top cover for the TKO. I spoke personally with a guy from American Powertrain on the Power Tour last year, he said I still might need to cut a notch in the part of the crossmember that goes over the trans in the tunnel. i do not know the history of the company but they have been sponsors on the Power Tour every year that I have been going.
That really looks good (my engine compartment is not that nice!) and Terry I worry about that stuff too!

What mustang parts? :)

Bill
Bill let me know if your looking for something. I have a bunch of weird stuff like a PS pump, pulleys and brackets for a 429 SCJ, 65 289 valve covers and air cleaner, etc. Stuff I will never use but still have in totes!

the Modern Driveline quote includes a Hydraulic TO bearing: "Tilton 6000 slip on, Ford" $340
MD-900-250x-l.jpg

Last edited:
Keisler used to say their trans would fit without mods too. I remember Sanborn had a personal vendetta against that claim. Seems others did too. Drive angle issues mainly. Is this American Powertrain a rebirth of same operation?
did some research, Keisler is now Silver Sport. Interweb has a lot of unsatisfied customers from Keisler... I got a quote from Silver Sport coming too but leery of them based on old forum discussions about Keisler.

Back