• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I got my new 331 and it is installed..........

68EFIvert

On Thursday I picked up my new 331 from my engine guy. It is looking pretty cool! I have run into a couple snags with the new engine though. I am planning on running AN fittings on almost all my hoses on the car and am having a hard time making it work with my new Meziere 55 gph electric water pump. I think I may break down and just use some nice looking hose clamps for that. You can't really see it when the blower goes on so its not that big of a deal.

The other thing that is a larger issue is the idler pulley for the water pump sticks out about 1/2" -3/4" further than the old mechanical water pump. Now the radiator and fan are in the way. I have a step brother that is in the business of making books for parts stores that cross references radiators and has quite a few connections in the biz. He is getting me in touch with a friend that can help me address this problem. I think I will end up with a larger radiator and run two smaller fans.

Here are some specs for the new engine

Ford Racing Boss Block
Scat Forged H beam Rods and Forged Crank
Probe 14 cc dished pistons
Mahle Rings
Camshaft Innovations Custom grind Cam
TFS moly push rods
Comp Cams Magnum Rockers, Billet timing set and Roller lifters
Trick Flow Fast as Cast 190 heads with LSX springs and Ferrera 6000 vavles (worked by Jay Allen at Camshaft Innovations)
ARP bolts for EVERYTHING
Vortech V2SQ blower with smaller pulley to put out 10 lbs of boost.
MSD 6AL igintion, BTM and coil.
Meziere 55 gph water pump
Snow Performance Stage 2 Water/Methanol Injection
Trick Flow Track Hear intake
FMS 42 lb injectors

The only bad part about this is I can't get the chip reprogrammed for 500-1000 miles. Something about breaking the engine in before pounding on it. I should have north of 525 rwhp and a grin on my face the size of TX. :) I'll post some pictures when I get the blower back on and the upper intake hooked up. I still need to run the new heater hoses that will connect to the AN fittings. Can you guess what I have been doing for the last 2 days?

Re: I got my new 331 and it is installed............well sort of.

"68EFIvert" said:
I'll post some pictures when I get the blower back on and the upper intake hooked up. I still need to run the new heater hoses that will connect to the AN fittings. Can you guess what I have been doing for the last 2 days?

Later?! Post em now, we like to see the victims on the operating table as well.

Can't wait to see 'em!
weasel.png

Now the radiator and fan are in the way.

Are you running a single electrical fan now?

Switching to dual electrical fans usually allows the snout of the water pump to fit right between the two fan motors. Where a single fan motor would be right in line with the snout, the duals fit to the sides of the snout.

My thoughts are that you can't have enough radiatior. Spending all the money that you have on this motor, I'd spring for a superior cooling system/radiator/fans. Nothing will kill a motor quicker than too much heat.

Can you guess what I have been doing for the last 2 days?

I'm guessing that you haven't watched every single college football bowl game, like I have.

I think you are right Dave, I do need a new radiator. The one in there now is the same dimension as the 6 cyl unit I took out only it is aluminum. It is only 21 inches wide ans is a cross flow. That leaves only 17" of fins showing and that is not enough for dual fans. I figure that I can get a 26" wide unit in my car and if I use a down flow unit I can get just about what ever fan setup I want. I could even use the same fan I have (3000 CFM Zirgo and offset it just an inch and a half and I would be fine.

I'll take some pictures this morning and post them so you can see it while the patient is on the table

My little radiator.
IMGP2391.jpg

The intake and blower resting on their future home. :)
IMGP2390.jpg

How it looks now. Notice how I modified the March PS bracket so that I could relocate the alternator?
IMGP2389.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Darreld,

Keep that new motor cool!

Here's a picture of the set up in my son's car. He has considerably less invested in his motor than you do.

New Griffin with dual BeCool electric fans/shroud, relayed and wired into a t-stat switch to come on at 190 and off at 175.

016-5.jpg

How wide is that radiator Dave?

Its the same Griffin that I am running, same dimensions as the big block radiators for 67/68, 26" IIRC. I'm running the same fan configuration as well.

2_21_12_08_10_56_20_0.JPG

Rick can you do me a favor and measure what the distance is from the center of the waterpump to the center of the radiator inlet. I wast to see if the outlet would clear my blower or if I would have to do a 90 degree turn like my current radiator. Thanks!

I'll measure them here in a bit and let you know. Have you looked at the Be Cool setup that Jason over at Classic Recreations offers? He actually switched to these over the Griffins after a few radiators had cooling issues. While definitely not cheap, the whole setup is pretty F'in sweet. A number of his cars are equipped with blowers as well.

80168.jpg

http://classic-recreations.com/store/mustang-cool-complete-crossflow-radiator-module-systems-p-1766.html?osCsid=5d333a2ae3e55871defa71d2a353b7f9

Looks great Darreld. Give me a call if you need a hand.

I have a dual fan setup out of a Ford Contour if you need measurements. If you go with the widest downflow you would get them to work no problem, but with a cross flow they are a hair too wide as I'm finding out. I'll make them work any ways. I have the 27.5" Northern cross flow and that is the max that will fit between the frame rails. Any wider than that and you'll have to go with the shorter 16" tall radiator (mine is 19"). These two fans will outflow pretty much any aftermarket dual fan setup IMO. You have the alternator to power them too. They aren't as bling as your chrome ones though, if that matters any. Check your supercharger pulley though, like the guy in the Corral.net link below. Hopefully these few links may help if you decide to go this direction. I purchased a Contour and Mark VII fan for test fit and the Mark VII wasn't gonna come close to fitting.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?p=9184601

http://members.shaw.ca/pekpress/electricfans.html

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0907_thermostatically_controlled_electric_fan_upgrade/index.html

BTW, I paid $40 for the Contour fans using www.car-part.com and filtering the results from lowest price to highest. It was cheaper to pay shipping from the cheapest source than to purchase from local yards. YMMV.

I have a few pics of one installed in a 69 stang with the factory 24" radiator (a perfect fit!)

231_04_01_10_3_49_23.JPG

231_04_01_10_3_49_04.JPG

231_04_01_10_3_48_36.JPG

231_04_01_10_3_48_17.JPG

231_04_01_10_3_47_54.JPG

I've heard about Countour fans and now I am liking what I am reading. It looks like they are 24" wide, is that correct?

Mid just enlightened me to the fact that I posted this in the wrong post.....Ooops,

Darreld, I measured right at 13" from center of waterpump pulley to the center of the upper Rad hose.

Thanks guys for the info and pictures. I think I may have a combo that will work for my setup. I'll have to do some more measuring and make some calls.

Yeah it's a little over 24". I'll get some exact measurements at lunch. My crossflow's core is 23.5", so I'll be cutting and rotating the fans and they'll still overhang a bit. Here's a pic of the dimensions:

Contour%20Fan.jpg

Here is where I am today. My step brother hooked me up with a guy in NY (wizardcooling.com). It looks like he can build me a radiator for less than a new Northern, Be Cool or Griffin. I am really liking the Contour radiator but he has offered to build me a shroud and dual Spal setup for a very reasonable price. I still need to talk more with him and send some pictures of my current setup so that he can build around it. It sounds pretty good so far though.

You'll be happier with the custom radiator than a Griffin. Griffin radiators are overpriced junk, IMHO. Mine started leaking after about 20k miles, and I know of many others with the same problem. The tanks on the Griffins are glued, not welded. Mine started leaking where the tank is glued on. Some Bars Leak fixed it for now, but it just doesn't cool like it did when it was new.

Replacing the Griffin will be the next project for my '66.

"johnpro" said:
You'll be happier with the custom radiator than a Griffin. Griffin radiators are overpriced junk, IMHO. Mine started leaking after about 20k miles, and I know of many others with the same problem. The tanks on the Griffins are glued, not welded. Mine started leaking where the tank is glued on. Some Bars Leak fixed it for now, but it just doesn't cool like it did when it was new.

Replacing the Griffin will be the next project for my '66.

That is what Jason aka Classic recreations said. They cut open a Griffin and saw that the epoxy was blocking a large portion of the radiators, thats why they switched to the Be Cool units. I have a Griffin, wish I had known this earlier.....

Back