• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I hate electrical issues!

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
Ok, I posted a thread about the turn signal issues with my 67. It was determined that the turn signal switch was bad. So, I ordered one and it arrived yesterday.

Since I've done this prepare several times in the past I figured an hour and then off to the alignment shop.

That was 8:30 this morning. I gave up just before four this afternoon.

So here is what has been done.

I pulled the wheel and column, replaced the TS switch three time since I couldn't get the column back together correctly.

Then I had to pull the gauge cluster to perform minor surgery on the flasher harness since the ends wouldn't stay in the flasher. A couple while I'm at its that took a couple minutes and the cluster is back.

I wired the TS at the plug since my plug broke. Tested everything and it worked perfectly. I taped it all up carefully and zip tied it up neatly.

Tested one more time before installing the wheel. Nothing but brake lights. I figured something came apart when I taped it up so I cut it loose and sure enough the yellow wire and the white/red wire came loose. Put them back together and one brake light.

Damn it! I fiddled with it and all of a sudden everything worked so I turned the key off and it was still blinking.

Upon closer inspection I mistakenly put the red wire where the whit/red wire should go. I corrected that and I get brake lights, running lights and emergency flashers.

WTF????

I replaced the fuses and the clock now works. No change on the blinkers. The work with or without the key with the red wire and just brake, running and emergency flashers with the red/white wire.

Did I fry my new switch?

I'm so lost and confused!

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Your TS plug broke? On the TS side or harness side? You should have called me, as I have both. You probably messed up matching wire colors, as the TS wires are aftermarket and it is easy to confuse them.

And BTW, I LOVE electrical issues, but only when they happen to someone else.

I matched them up color for color.

The switch side.

The Scott Drake switch didn't come with a plug. I don't recall any of them coming with a plug.

So how should I match up the wires?

Mel

You should match the wires up by function, of course! The best course of action is to note the position of the wires when removing them from the connector block so they go back in the same place. Often times, TS's come with one extra wire which confuses people. These TS's are good for multiple car models, not just Mustangs, which is why there's an extra wire.

For a 67 the wires go in this order:
9 green/orange LH stop, turn light, rear
385 white/red E-flasher
460 yellow horn
511 green stop lamp
44 blue flasher
482 blue/yellow horn
3,50 green/white LH turn signal
2,49 white/blue RH turn signal
5 orange/blue RH rear turn, stop signal
I start on one corner (green/orange), go along that row, go up when at the row and come back around. The blank pin is next to orange/blue.

It is easy to confuse green and green/white

Mel, do you have a shop manual? That coupled with Randy's help should get your car functioning properly

Somewhere. I can't find it.

I done this repair three times on this car and done it the same way.

Frustrating.

Mel

Ok, maybe Mid can help here. I did not which one came from where but somehow I screwed that up. Now that the slow boat from China delivered my new block I put it together from my notes. Wierd stuff happened so, I am starting again.

I dug out my wiring diagrams and they aren't helping me.

Here's a picture of what I'm looking at.

Which fricking wire goes where?

Mel

Attachments

• 2017-11-01 17.14.28.jpg
    2017-11-01 17.14.28.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 26
This piece is the top one in your picture. First off, it is upside down. Now orient it so that break in the cross piece is to the left. The top left hole should be empty. The next hole on the top but just to the right is orange/blue. Follow the colors as I described above.

It really doesn't matter which wire goes where, so long as the colors match across the the connectors when mated.

Back