• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I need a lead

There is an old guy on the board that refurbishes them. I think his name is Mid something..... midlife, He is a frequent contributor to the site.....

I don't know what happened to my original post most of it got cut off. I have all of the wiring well, almost all of it. I did pick up a underdash from Mid.

What I am looking for is I am missing a lead / harness that goes from the firewall to the back up light switch on the transmission.

All of the wiring is new with factory connectors so I really do not want to cut off the connector to wire the switch. The shifter I have installed is a Hurst for a 4 speed. I got a switch with the shifter so I just need a lead to go to it.

I saw that there is a reproduction harness for the factory shifter available but it comes with the switch and costs about $50.00 I am sure most of the cost is for the switch which I just end up cutting off.

Do I need to make up my own assembly or is there someone else that might be able to help me out?

"GTchris" said:
I don't know what happened to my original post most of it got cut off. I have all of the wiring well, almost all of it. I did pick up a underdash from Mid.

What I am looking for is I am missing a lead / harness that goes from the firewall to the back up light switch on the transmission.

All of the wiring is new with factory connectors so I really do not want to cut off the connector to wire the switch. The shifter I have installed is a Hurst for a 4 speed. I got a switch with the shifter so I just need a lead to go to it.

I saw that there is a reproduction harness for the factory shifter available but it comes with the switch and costs about $50.00 I am sure most of the cost is for the switch which I just end up cutting off.

Do I need to make up my own assembly or is there someone else that might be able to help me out?

So from what I understand, your Hurst shifter already has a switch on it, but the connector is incompatible with the main underdash harness? In 1964.5-1966, a separate backup light harness is used that plugs into the main harness (ACC 3-prong power), routes to the backup light switch (male, female bullet connectors), and then back to the connection for the tailight harness. For 1967 on up, the backup wiring is integral to the main harness, and there's a four prong plug (usually on the engine side of the firewall) that has a male/female pair for the backup and NSS switches. Again, these are bullet plugs.

All you need is to fashion a pigtail from your Hurst shifter connector to these bullet plugs, or cut the shifter wires and splice in the bullet plugs.

Does this help?

Damn...I thought maybe I could sell you another main harness!

Sorry Randy, as far as the main harness goes I gotta finish this car before I get into the next one.

You are absolutely correct :wor, the Hurst shifter has a mounting bracket and a 2 post switch installed on it, it looks like what I need is a 4 prong (2 male 2 female) connector to attach to the underdash harness with a lead to attach to the switch on the Hurst shifter. I do not know if it is a matter of the lead being incompatible, I don't have one at all currently. I suppose in the big picture it's not that big of a deal if my back up lights do not come on when I put it in reverse. I could always install this later.

There are 2 wire versions (a separate pair for the backup and NSS) running around, and I may have one that you can use. It doesn't matter how you hook it up...it's a simple switch at the shifter and the polarity doesn't matter. Give me a PM and let me hunt you up one for a very nominal fee.

BTW, do you also need something to bypass the NSS? I believe I have a four-pinner with that bypass already built in.

Back