• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

i need some head...s

carefact0rzero

might be in the market for some new heads here soon if i can get the cash flow right. i've got a reworked 289 and i'm just not happy with it. the heads were the only thing we didnt change during the rebuild. i'm wanting something that won't kill my wallet (preferably less than $1300) and that will be pretty much a bolt on without having to change anything else. any ideas?

Fortunately for you, right now it's a buyers market, you just need to be patient...

Keep your eyes peeled on Ebay for aftermarket heads, some slightly used, some still new in the box.

I watched a set of NIB TFS heads go for under $600 a couple months ago.

If you can't wait, these heads are a pretty good deal....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Trick-Flow-Ford-Twisted-Wedge-Cylinder-Head-Mustang-5-0_W0QQitemZ140259995110QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140259995110&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Although these won't work for your application, here's an example of what I'm talking about.... the guy bought them for a project, lost insterest and is selling them off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelbrock-performer-RPM-heads-6073-SB-CHEVY_W0QQitemZ180280323788QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180280323788&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

What was done during the engine rebuild? What kind of cam are you running? You want to match the heads to the rest of the engine build.

Dave, I got a pair of polished Edelbrock Preformer RPM with the big valves, new in the box for $1000.00.
If you are patience, you can find deals like that on Ehay.

I
must
refrain
from
replying

or...

this
will
be
dumped
in
the
Grumpy
Old
Farts
Lounge

I
must
control
mys--------------------------

"Starfury" said:
What was done during the engine rebuild? What kind of cam are you running? You want to match the heads to the rest of the engine build.

everything was replaced on the rebuild except for the crank. i've got:

Crane Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam
Lift: .469''/.469''
Duration: 266°/266°
RPM Range: 1400-4800

edelbrock performer intake

holley 390 cfm carb

would performer heads work best? since i have a performer intake would the ports match up right? thanks guys

I think the standard Performer heads would be fine. Either that or a set of TrickFlow Twisted Wedge heads. That cam isn't going to wind up enough to take advantage of large valve/port heads. You may even consider some GT40 (not GT40P) heads. Good for a budget and they'll be a huge increase over the stock heads.

You should also consider a larger carb. 390 is ok for a stock 289, but with a mild cam, heads, and intake, you'd be better off with ~500CFM.

"Midlife" said:
I
must
refrain
from
replying

or...

this
will
be
dumped
in
the
Grumpy
Old
Farts
Lounge

I
must
control
mys--------------------------

Just go crawl back under your Rock, You, You, dirty ole ram wantabee

"Mustang Mike" said:
This is where I purchased my TFS for $800. They came with the pushrods too. There are tons of heads on this site.
"monkeystash" said:
Check out corral.net classifieds. The have tons of heads for sale in the Windsor engine section. It is easily the best Mustang classifieds on the net. I've got countless deals from there.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=269

I just learned of Corral.net from this post and it is great. I got a great deal on a T56 tranny for my 68. Now I keep looking for good deals on 331/347 blower short blocks. If you are looking for some heads I would post a want ad on Corral and you will get all kinds of responses. You can even get good deals on new parts (like my T56). ;D

Back