• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I need to stop scratching my nuts

AtlantaSteve

SO, some of the fasteners I've been using lately are more expensive fancy ones that they sell at my local ACE, but they're locked up because they're so bleedin' fancy!

The problem is when you take these nice looking expensive bolts or nuts and torque the hell out of them, you destroy the finish. I remember from 15+ years ago when I used to get Street Rod Magazine, they advertised these plastic inserts that you would put in your sockets. They reduced the size by about 1 step (so you'd put an insert in a 9/16 socket, and it'd then be used on a 1/2 fastener)

I haven't been able to really find these advertised anywhere else. Anyone have any idea where to get something like this?

Thanks.

Steve

Put a piece of painter's masking tape within the socket or wrench (or over the bolt head) and torque away.

I use this all the time to keep the part inside the socket while starting the fastener. The tape is thick enough to keep the fastener from being scratched, yet thin enough not to reduce the socket size.

I'll second Mid's painters tape (not masking tape) solution. Use it all the time on the boat - lots of SS fastners that show in use there. Also good for lug nuts, painted fastners, etc.

Back