• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ignition points for dummies

stump

Could someone give me a short refresher on installing, setting the gap, and checking/adjusting dwell of points for a 289. It's been a very, very long time and I'm finding there's not a lot of info out there... I've done this before, but can't seem to remember much about it. I've even got two different type tach/dwell meters (with no instructions of course), but can't remember how they connect.

My car started running a little rough the other day, to include a miss at higher speeds. I replaced plugs with no noticeable change. I decided to check the points gap and found there was none. Anyway, I reset the gap and the car is running great, but I'm not sure what the dwell reading is and I'm hearing that's more important than the initial gap setting...

Thanks,
Gary

After replacing the point/cond set, bring a lobe up to points follower(little arm of point).
Set gap about .017 or using dewell meter (red to - side of coil, black to ground)
Crank the engine from sol and adjust point gap till it reads 27-30* on meter.

"Mach1Rider" said:
After replacing the point/cond set, bring a lobe up to points follower(little arm of point).
Set gap about .017 or using dewell meter (red to - side of coil, black to ground)
Crank the engine from sol and adjust point gap till it reads 27-30* on meter.

Thanks!

Back