• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I'm Good...I'm very good!

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Wifey was complaining about no a/c in her '93 Exploder. Well, I know what the problem is, since this would be the 4th time in 16 years: the low pressure switch that controls the a/c compressor needs replacing. Last time, I tried to replace the $15 part, but I tore up the o-rings badly and had Ford do it. This should be a very easy repair: the switch is right on top and you don't have to remove anything to get to it.

Anyway, I take it to a tiny garage with some crusty old mechanics that I've dealt with before. The first time I went there, I had very poor a/c in my 94 Honda. One shop diagnosed a bad compressor ($450+), so on a lark, I went to this garage. Chester was the mechanic, and we went for a ride. He didn't like what he felt for cold air after checking the pressures. Something didn't make sense, and he finally diagnosed that the cold/hot dial connected to a cable that wasn't closing the valve fully. He showed me where the valve was, and one could close it a wee bit more so that you got full a/c. He said do that, or pay me 2 hours labor to re-adjust the cable. $50 later, I was a happy camper not only because I had found my problem, but here was an honest mechanic who was more interested in repairing things than simply replacing things.

So anyway, I drop off the Exploder at the end of the day and explain to Chester that this is the 4th time this has happened, and to focus upon the low pressure switch first. Sure enough, he calls me the next day and says "I hope you're sitting down...I found the problem. First, the switch needs replacing and thats $25. The real problem is that the electrical connector to it is faulty: it's pitted and shorting out. I can replace that for $32 and charge a total of one hour labor for $50." When I pick up the car, he said he went to a junkyard to get the cable during his lunch hour. All told, $119 out of pocket. Without my explaining a previous set of failures, he never would have looked at the connector. Together, we made a good team.

Anyway, good mechanics are still out there...even honest ones!

You should do an online review for them if they show up on one of your local online "Yellow Pages" search engines.

Back