• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

in tank fuel pump... drill my stainless tank or get new 22 gal tank?

steveh326

so when I did the Fitech on my car they only had 2 options for fuel pump. I went with frame mounted option cause the fuel center was just way too much to stick in the engine bay. I hate how loud the pump is.

Now I see they have a retrofit fuel pump that you can add to your existing tank by drilling a small hole. My existing tank is virtually brand new unused 16 gallon stainless unit... contemplating upgrading to the non-stainless 22 gallon tank that comes pre-fitted with the in-tank pump... more than doubles the cost of the install tho.

right now I am leaning toward just drilling and using my existing 16 gal tank unless someone can convince me the 22 gal is so much more worth it to upgrade to. my existing tank has had about 5 gal of gas in it for testing the car, but the car has never been on the road yet. I am guessing I would drain, fill with water, then drill the hole to keep from blowing myself up.

I'm a little lost on what you have now so instead of doing the smart thing and reading back through the post I am just going to give my advice to cover it all. :confused:

I went with a Tanks Inc 22 gal fuel injection tank. Here's why. It is set-up to work perfectly with the Fitech (or any aftermarket) EFI system. It is ready to bolt in a Walbro pump of your output rating desire. The pump drops in from above (as does the sender) so you will not have to drain or drop the tank to service. The pump resides in a baffled area of the tank to make sure it is never dry even in hard cornering. Last but not least it is a direct bolt in to the stock location and comes in a nicely powdercoated finish. The only catch to the larger tank is you need to modify the filler neck. Since I wanted to go ahead and install a modern style inner neck flap to avoid the over fill splashing the standard set-up allows this was not a big deal.

I liked the idea of having the option to put the additional 6 gallons into the tank for the day when my car is actually on the road making long trips like the Power Tour, etc. If your existing tank is not baffled I would not use it unless you are willing to always keep it fairly full to avoid starving the pump.

Back