• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Install dash pad before or after glass?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
My glass guy calls me today asking when does the dash pad gets installed. I told him that I installed Red's pad after he installed the glass but he swears he has always installed the glass when the pad is already in place. He's been asked to install a pad and glass on a 66 and wasn't sure which is first.

Am I correct that you normally install the pad afterwards? Does it make a difference between the years? Since I hope to be doing Shag's pad/glass in a few weeks, I'd better know which way is the best.

It can be a bitch to get the lower inside windshield trim screws in with the glass in, but it has to be done after the glass is in, as it covers the rubber gasket. I'd install the dash pad first anyway to ensure it aligns correctly, the holes are where you want it, it is trimmed up properly (repro crap), then remove it and then install the glass. You can leave it in place if you're careful, but you do want to test fit the lower trim pieces before the glass goes in.

I, too, agree with Midlife. Trial fit the pad and trim it first, but install the windshield without the pad.

This all changes with the '69/later. Those windshields use mastic to glue them in like modern windshields. They don't use a rubber seal on the front glass. Along the same lines, the headliner needs to go in before the windshield on the '65-'68, but it doesn't matter if the headliner goes in second on the '69/later, as the headliner doesn't go around the windshield lip like the previous years. Instead, the '69/later use a trim piece across the top of the windshield to hold the headliner.

Thanks guys. This sort of info is so very important for the glass guy so I will forward this post to him.

Concur with all the above. I set the dash pad in place, trimmed it (trimmed a lot in the corners), cut little notches for the metal trim screws, and the notch for the VIN plate. Goes much easier having all that cut out already when you go to install it again after the glass is in.

I left my dashpad installed and just loosened up the screws for the metal trim. After installing the windshield and gasket, I finagled the trim up on top of the rubber (or pushed the rubber under the trim) and screwed them down. There's a lot of potential for scratching the trim, though.

Frank

Back