• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Installed UDP today

eZ65

Well last week I opened up the radiator support and put a large radiator. Car stayed very cool. Installed the udp today and now its back to running hot. I doubt this is a cooling fan issue but I do have a taurus fan going in next as soon as I can find a big enough relay. I guess my question is do I need to run a high flow water pump with udp? I can see that the water is not moving real fast through the radiator.

OK, I'm trying to think this out in my head and it may not be very clear right now, but wouldnt the UDP drive the waterpump at higher RPMs, thus moving the impeller faster? The UDP doesnt change the direction of rotation (like going from regular drive to serpantine) does it?

LOL...drinking this early?

It is the same direction...udp are basically just a smaller crank pulley thus slowing down all your accessories. In my case just a water pump pulley and alt pulley. So now the water pump is not spinning as fast at all rpm ranges.

There are two arguments.
1. If you slow down the water pump the water will have more time to cool through the radiator. I can see this argument in high rpm applications. racing etc

2. If you slow down the water pump the water sits in the motor longer and heats up.

Called march performance today about thier pulley. They said it is common for guys with my application to see heating problems. They recommend most people use the bigger crank pulley...so I ordered one. live and learn.

Back