• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Installing Autometer Gauges Behind Stock 67 Bezel

67TXStang

I'd like to know the approach you have taken to install aftermarket gauges in your stock 67-68 instrument bezel.

I don't want to front mount them so I started looking for a way to back mount them. The bezel on the guages themselves stick off the front of the guage about 1/2 an inch. When back mounted, you can see the gauge bezel. I'd like a better way to do this so I can't see the gauge bezel showing from behind the stock instrument bezel.

I've trimmed a little from the back of the stock instrument bezel which allows for a better fit and hides more of the gauge bezel. I'd like to see what you guys have done before deciding this is the best it is going to get.

A picture can communicate this better than words so here are a few pictures.

This is how I've trimmed the back of the stock cluster and the amount of the gauge bezel which is visible (mock up picture).

These from a '66. The mount from NPD is designed to mount the autometer gauges behind the stock bezel. I didn't go with this because I didn't like the "looking though a tunnel" effect. So, we modified the stock bezel to accept the gauges, from the front. To me it made the gauges much easier to read.

1966Fastback009.jpg

1966Fastback008.jpg

gaugecluster004.jpg

gaugecluster003.jpg

Newshop005.jpg

Nightshots003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed the silverish rings off of each gauge and mounted them glass flush into the bezel. There was a lot of hacking done on the back of the bezel. I also used parts of the original backing support. Will post photos later today, once I find them......

I also cut off the trim rings on the gauges. I also cut up the back supporting bracket to fit behind the gauges. I cleaned up the wiring after these pictures but you get the idea.
March2008022.jpg

March2008021.jpg

I thought about taking off the bezels on the gauges. I even searched the internet to see what it would look like with them off. I did not want to do it an completely mess them up. Additionally, It looks like the glass front is actually attached to the gauge bezel.

If you have pictures to share, I would like to see them.

I didn't want to cut the gauges either... Mounted the tach and spedo behind the bezel and the smaller guages above using the autometer sleaves to keep everything at the same angle. If i remember right there isn't enough room to keep the 2-5/8" guages in tact and still moint them out back.

interior_dash.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The plastic rings or bezels basically hold the glass against the gauge's frame. When you snip the plastic ring and remove it, the glass will fall away. Thus I used some double sided tape to hold the glass against the frame for ease of assembly into the main bezel.

Yes, it's basically a piece of exhaust tubing welded into the ashtray opening.... The tubing was too large for the gauge, so I had to slice the tubing lengthwise and weld the seam to to shrink the diameter.

Back