• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Installing Hood Scoop

So my hood scoop i ordered should be coming in soon and I was wondering if anyone has mounted a Boss 429 scoop on there car personally. Just wanted to know best way to install it and approximately how big of a hole to cut in the hood to make the scoop functional but no so big that water can run in easily.

The first pic is the fiber glass scoop i bought. and the 2nd pic is it on an actual Boss 429.

I was thinking about a 6x10 oval hole. I want the scoop to be functional but i dont want it to be so big that anyone will be able to see the hole just looking at the car. I only want it to be seen if they they look directly down the scoop.

Jeremy.... the guy building the ratrod.... installed a similar scoop on his hood. Give him a little while to chime in as I'm sure he'll give some good advice.

What does the bottom of the hood look like? It may limit your decision.

Here is the '68
2_08_09_08_9_36_15_4.JPG

The bottom, you can see how it was cut between the cross brace
5413710150_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
heres a pic of the underside of my 69 hood. Seems to have that same large oval as yours. Should i use this as a guide to cut? Seems like it be to big of a hole though.

Mine hood opening was already cut when I got it. But they followed the same hole as you have shown.

And my new scoop had a bit larger flange on it too. I chemically adhered the scoop to the hood and then also pop riveted it on with probably 30 or so rivets. Then used dynaHair filler (fiberstrand) to feather it in. And lastly used some putty to help smooth that porous fiberstrand.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

the one i bought has mounting holes from underneath so theres gona be alot of measuring to make sure drill the holes in the right place on the hood to make sure bolts all line up.

Just make a cardboard template from the stud locations on the scoop and transpose those to your hood. Piece of cake.

Put some small dobs of grease on the bottom of each scoop stud, lay your scoop, studs down, on a large piece of cardboard. It will leave the location marks. Punch holes through the cardboard at grease locations and transpose those to your hood.

awesome idea to use grease, I was planning on using that approach just wasnt sure on what to use as a marker for the studs. Ill definently go with grease tho. Thanks 70_Fastback

unfortunetly the weather didnt hold out last night. I was able to start the template and take measurements before the rain started. Heres a pic of the CAD drawing i made this morning showing the measurements of the bolts and everything.

Heres a few pics from my hood scoop install. Just gotta finish making the holes on the underside bigger(the ones that go into the frame of the hood) so I can tighten the nuts down with a socket. Also have to clean up the hole I cut in the hood, just making it look a lil cleaner. I like the look of the 5.0 badge on the scoop also. I was planning to put them on the fenders but i might just throw them on the scoop instead.

"Daves69Coupe" said:
I like the look of the 5.0 badge on the scoop also. I was planning to put them on the fenders but i might just throw them on the scoop instead.

I'd think about that some more. IMO, if you're not also going to add a park bench to the deck lid they will probably look out of place. :barf

Back