• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Interior and console lights

oateater

Here is my problem on a 66 mustang conv. When I open either door with ignition key off under dash and rear console lights work normal. Open door, lights on, close door lights off. With key in assy position or engie running rear console light comes on with doors closed. Open a door and rear console light goes out and under dash lights come on. Arrrrg!

History. Installed console and ralley pack about a year ago. Have never noticed this before I can't believe it was that way when I installed this stuff as I check things pretty close when done. I have recently had the dash gages out a couple of times for a new gas gage [which still does not work properaly] and a speedometer cable.

Any thoughts where to start? I haven't hooked anything to the ignition switch. all hook ups where plugged into the main wire harness.

There is one wire near the shifter that is for the automatic gear indicator. It sounds like you are using that wire as the ground to the console lights. That would do the odd off timing of the rear lights. The shift indicator light has power when the key is on, no matter what the light switch or doors do. Check the wiring with a schematic and I think you will see it.

You know, I bet you are exactly right. Thank you so much!!!!!

I just remembered that I had the console out not to long ago when I put a new toploader in and I bet I hooked it up wrong then.

Back