• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Interior Bling

janschutz

Corn Hauler
Last week when I took my 68 Mustang Coupe to be inspected, it fail because the emergency brake would not hold the car at idle and in drive. The main problem was that the handle was broke was was difficult to pull out. So I order a aluminum on off the internet and installed it last night.

ABEmergBrake.jpg

I also ordered some aluminum window cranks.
ABWindowRegs.jpg

Since the cardboard backing came apart on the driver side door panel when I removed it to grease the window channels, I need to replace them. I like the look of the 67 with brushed aluminum door panels but anyone know of some aftermarket ones that also have brushed aluminum. To do the 67 setup, it wold be big $$ and I do not know it it would work on my 68 doors.

Current door panel:
ABInteriorBefore.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My e-brake handle is cracked and I need a new one. Care to hook me up with the details on your handle? Looks like the ones that were in the article in Mustangs and Fords magazine. I checked the website a couple times but they were always outta stock.

That is the place. Just call them. Their web site does not match their inventory. Jeff Hommedahl was real helpful when I called.

Here is his Contact information: JEFF@CURBBOX.COM

Jeff Hommedahl
President
Western Metal Products
Billet Performance Accessories
P.O. Box. 6
Cannon Falls, Mn. 55009
Phone 507-263-3808
Fax 507-263-3815

Those are cool. The 67 door panels will fit your 68.

I would make some custom panels. I have done it in the past using the thin plywood (Luan) at home depot. Just make sure to cover them with a quality material. Use your panels as a pattern and then you can do anything you want to. For the aluminum you can buy sheets of the stuff in kitchen and bath sections. It is a plastic type material that looks like aluminum use for back splashes behind stove tops. It may even come in stainless sheets with adhesive on the back. Just cut to shape and install it.

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
Those are nice Steve.

Got a set coming for my car :) Sniped them hard core off the VMF (Guy who had them said he was thinking of ditching them, I PMed him immediately).

Mine are the ABS only, and the 65/66 panels look different (LINK) and mine won't have the aluminum inserts YET.

Those are some ridiculously cool looking door panels. I would have to say that the price really reflects on what your visually getting in the deal. Just my .02.

"garner67" said:
These door panels are cheaper than switching to deluxe door panels, but they're kinda pricey. However, I really like the look.

80.jpg

Ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-1968-67-68-Mustang-Custom-Door-Panels_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4135c37c7aQQitemZ280074878074QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2850wt_1167

I'm surprised to be the first one bringing this up, but why are you all referring to this as an emergency brake? Its a parking brake, and as far as I knew it was only meant to relieve tension off the parking paw in the transmission.

I've never heard of the requirement for that parking brake to hold the brakes with the transmission in drive.

Even if you have the wits about you in a emergency with loss of brakes to reach down and pull that handle, I don't beleive you have nearly the same mechanical advantage provided by the newer design to effectively brake the vehicle.

"sigtauenus" said:
I've never heard of the requirement for that parking brake to hold the brakes with the transmission in drive.

It is an requirement in Texas for inspection. I tried to give them the argument that it is just for parking but have not yet won that argument. I did win the argument that 68 never hat Catalytic converter and the only emissions were a PVC valve.

"janschutz" said:
It is an requirement in Texas for inspection. I tried to give them the argument that it is just for parking but have not yet won that argument.

That is true. Here is what the regulation says;

20.03 Parking Brake. The inspection of the parking brake (auxiliary or holding) applies only to all motor vehicles beginning with the model year 1960. This does not include motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, mopeds, trailers, semitrailers, pole trailers, and mobile homes.

Some types of parking brake may be actuated by foot or hand lever.

The parking brake may be assisted by the service brakes or other source of power, provided that failure of the service brake actuating system or other power assisting mechanism will not prevent the parking brakes from being applied. The parking brakes should be so designed that when once applied, they shall remain applied - despite exhaustion of any source of energy or leakage of any kind. If the means of applying the parking brakes and the service brakes are connected in any way, they shall be so constructed that failure of any one part shall not leave the vehicle without operative brakes. Brake lock systems will not meet the parking brake requirement.

1. Inspection Procedure. On a motor vehicle that has the automatic parking brake release when the transmission is placed in gear, the parking brake should be held down with the foot and the engine accelerated enough with the vehicle in gear to determine if it is working properly.

2. Inspect Parking Brake for and reject if:
a. Motor vehicle is not equipped with a parking brake.
b. Operating mechanism, when fully applied, does not hold the vehicle.
c. Actuating mechanism is not fully released when the release control is operated.
d. Any mechanical parts are missing, broken, badly worn, or not operating properly.
e. Pull cables are badly worn, stretched, frayed, or not operating freely.
f. Parking brake will not hold the vehicle in place when, with the engine running, the vehicle is placed in forward gear and the engine is accelerated enough to cause a pull on the braking mechanism.

Back