• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Is it worth restoring ?

It's old. It's cool. And getting it to make triple digit HP numbers is a challenge.

Flatheads are great for a unique hot rod, but they have really low performance potential.

If you have deep pockets it's a good one to buy. Rare. BIG block of flatheads. For example, the flathead I am building for the truck is what is considered kind of the peak of flatheads. The Ford 239 ci. Like a Chevy 350, if you will. The difference is they cost a fortune to build. That one will cost even more and there are less aftermarket parts for it.
For perspective, to have the block machined (cleaned, bored, etc.) and the full new rotating assembly purchased and balanced but me doing all the actual assembly I expect to be into it at least $4,000 for just the basic shortblock. A cam, lifters and valvetrain will be easily another grand. Heads and gaskets will start at about $900 for fancy new finned pieces. A set of head studs will set you back about $500. Yep. $500 for a set of bolts (there are a lot of them).

My the time I'm done with mine it will be easily 5 figures into the engine itself. I'm spending around $6k to put a blower on top rember.

After that you have to mate it to a transmission of sorts. If you want to go modern (T5 or C4 etc.) figure up to another grand or a bit more not including the trans.

Best part is when all done you'll have about a 100 h.p. engine (no blower) or bit more with your larger cubes. They are torque monster motors though. Just can't wind 'em up much past 4000 rpm. They sure sound good though. And if you spend the money right they can look better than anything else on the block. Eye candy to the ears and eyes. At least i think so and that's why I am going that path.

Ok , Thanks for the info and numbers. Being from abroad I have to multiply the numbers by 2 !! And the fact that they aren't many hotrod overhere , it won't be a good investment. Thx guys.

I looked around the Web a bit and its a mixed bag on how desirable and cost. Some are like me and say its a rare one and worth doing and others pass because of cost and net result (low power). The big name guys in flatheads (H&H) do have speed parts for them but $$$. If you wanted to do a period hot rod and money didn't matter it's an option. After more thought though I'd probably spend the same cash and find and build an early hemi for that period rod. They're pretty damn cool too.

orrrrr, you could spend about 5K on a 385 series stroker motor build and make over 600hp on pump gas naturally aspirated....
depends on what you are thinking of stuffing it into. A flat head in a Camaro would be cool, in a Mustang, not so cool.

orrrrr, you could spend about 5K on a 385 series stroker motor build and make over 600hp on pump gas naturally aspirated....
depends on what you are thinking of stuffing it into. A flat head in a Camaro would be cool, in a Mustang, not so cool.
It would weigh about a couple hundred pounds less too (with aluminum heads and intake). A 337 checks in at about 800 lbs.

Back