• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Italian dumbass

ko67

46fb699b-8149-e491.jpg

I agree. I've been involved with sea-going research since 1975. I can't believe someone who was put in charge of a $500M+ vessel would be so stupid as to put the ship anywhere close to land while going 24 knots. If I was a captain, I would be so damned conservative and careful of how that vessel was run. To be a full-fledged captain (unlimited master) takes years of training, experience, exams, and oversight; I can't imagine how this joker made captain of one of the largest and most expensive ships in the world. I'd have to put some of the blame on the parent company for putting this guy in charge of the ship.

What a moron. How the hell do you manage to sink a cruise ship like that. Then he abandons ship before all the passengers. Wth.

I heard today that they did a photo shoot on the ship about a month ago recreating scenes from the movie titanic. Maybe they cursed the ship.

My wife was a little spooked when she heard about this. We were on a Mediterranean cruise off the coast of Italy a little over 2 years ago. Different cruise line though. She just kept thinking about what it would have been like if that happened on our cruise. You just don't think this kind of thing can happen now .

Apparently the movie theme from Titanic also was being played shortly before the dumbass hit the rock.

Dumbass for sure. Moron , Yep.

"I was helping some passengers put the life boat to sea. At a certain point the mechanism for lowering it, blocked. We had to force it. Suddenly the system unblocked itself and I tripped and I found myself inside the life boat with a number of passengers."

Because I cruise often, I've been following this story pretty closely. The black box shows that the ship had done that same close pass 52 times before. Poor Concordia was living on borrowed time.

I believe so. That's just a little more than a year of cruising for that itinerary.

You would think someone in the upper management would have seen the trip records and noticed the deviation. Sounds like he will not have a chance to make that mistake again.

I don't think he will. Abandoning the ship gets him an automatic 12-year sentence in an Italian jail. Then add manslaughter, etc., to that and he will be locked up for quite some time. He's a disgrace in Italy, whereas DeFalco and Basio are heroes.

I have to wonder who has the ship insured and if this was it really an accident. By jumping ship early I feel that may be a sign that he had a long time to think about what was going to happen, well before sculpting the rocks? Who knows, that may be "the rest of the story."

It's insured by Lloyd's of London. No reason to think it was sabotage, simply the act of a self-serving moron who never should have been in the captain's seat.

"Sluggo" said:
This cat is indeed a dumbass.

He is also very fortunate RustyRed was not aboard. :hide
Well at least they would have had a guy with experience on what to do.

"Laurie S." said:
No reason to think it was sabotage, simply the act of a self-serving moron who never should have been in the captain's seat.

Why did the name "obama" just pop into my head. Shit, wrong forum section.

"70 StangMan" said:
Well at least they would have had a guy with experience on what to do.

Actually, there was another Costa captain on board who was cruising as a passenger coming back from vacation. He was the one who issued the abandon ship order and organized the effort to get the passengers off safely. If he hadn't been there, there could have been many more deaths.

"Laurie S." said:
Actually, there was another Costa captain on board who was cruising as a passenger coming back from vacation. He was the one who issued the abandon ship order and organized the effort to get the passengers off safely. If he hadn't been there, there could have been many more deaths.
That was just my reference to RustyReds ordeal ( not as tragic, but similar)

Back