• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

JB Weld instead of panel adhesive?

steveh326

I want to bond the headlight buckets to the fenders on my car before it goes to paint, to eliminate the seam and clean that area up. I was going to use panel adhesive, but the 3M stuff is expensive and requires their dedicated $$ gun that I would never ever use again. I ordered a tube of panel adhesive from Eastwood that works in my regular calk gun, it came yesterday and it is TINY, doesn't look like enuf to do one corner.

Thinking about just using JB Weld instead of the panel adhesive. I can buy it locally, I've used it in the past for other repairs and have never been disappointed.

Whats the concensus? would I be asking for trouble/cracks down the road?

Short and sweet. Use the 3m or hate yourself later.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

sounds risky.

as an alternative, you could do some bodywork on that area so the fit between the fender and extension is spot on.

Find a paint supplier in your area. Most sell panel adhesive and will loan you the gun as well. Not an area to experiment.

Don't even think about doing it, I will guarantee you it will crack. I don't care if you even top coat it with several layers of fiberglass it will still crack. Expansion and contraction of the two different substrates will cause it to fail seen it to many times.

"mustangstofear" said:
Don't even think about doing it, I will guarantee you it will crack. I don't care if you even top coat it with several layers of fiberglass it will still crack. Expansion and contraction of the two different substrates will cause it to fail seen it to many times.

dammit I was really hoping to be able to do this with the 3m panel adhesive, found a $60 gun for the stuff that I woulda sprung for. crap crap crap.

Just curious, why don't the E cars have this issue then too with the fg bonded to the steel? (or do they?). 30 years ago I bonded a set of fg fender flares to my 69 camaro using just kitty hair and they held up fine for all the years I owned the car, no cracks.

let me add that I DO respect your opinion and will not do this mod based on your experience, I am just bummed about it...

I would guess its more an issue of the amount of available surface area for mating the parts to the body. Not much surface area there.

I used the 3m stuff to glue side scoops on a 67 about 5 years ago. Just saw the car last month and it was fine.

Rich obviously has first hand knowledge of what you want to do.

His advice is based on that knowledge.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Why not try the Fusor panel adhesive? It works really well, and is sandable if allowed to extrude out from the joints. A bit of body putty after that and you should be good to go. The Fusor applicator is expensive, though...

"Midlife" said:
Why not try the Fusor panel adhesive? It works really well, and is sandable if allowed to extrude out from the joints. A bit of body putty after that and you should be good to go. The Fusor applicator is expensive, though...

at this point I think I would use sperm from an endangered snow leopard if I thought it would work...lol. FYI, I do see a manual gun for the lord fusor that is only $46 or so, which is do-able if it would work.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/fus-108b.html

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/fus-301.html

Back