• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

JohnPro-Official StangFix Fender Roller Tool Box update

ZFORCE

Although I did not know JohnPro personally, I like many of you knew of him, and since his wife was so generous as to give the StangFix his Eastwood Fender Roller Tool, through Craig, I thought I would do my part and make a box. I know many of you offered, but since the I have the tool right now, I thought I'd make a box for it. I will be posting pictures soon, and the box is near done.

So my question, should I make a plaque to dedicate it to JohnPro and what should it say?

Re: JohnPro-Official StangFix Fender Roller Tool Box Question??

Personally, I think John would have preferred if everything was kept at a very low key. Meaning, don't make a box. Don't make a big thing about. He enjoyed helping others but never wanted to be in the limelight of things. Knowing that his knowlege or tools were being used to help others would mean more to him than anything else. But if you insist on making a box, keep in mind the weight such a box might add to the product and how much more or less the next person will need to pay.

Craig

Thanks Craig, not meaning to make a big deal, let's just consider it a shipping crate. I was just touched by his wife's generous donation, and it made me think of the man behind the tool, 'nuff said.

The box has already been made. Keeping in mind the weight, I made it out of aluminum. It gave me a chance to practice some beads. UPS generally charges more by the size than the weight. It is considerably smaller than the box that I received it in, and foam lined. Here are a couple of pictures.

P8094206.JPG

P8184221.JPG

P8184224.JPG

Nice work. I vote for a plaque that says "In memory of Johnpro...WTF"

To echo Craig, John would be estatic the tool has made the rounds and will continue to do so for the forseable future.

Now that's bad ass, nice job! Be sure and sign the bottom of the lid before you forward to the next recipient.

JohnPro-Official StangFix Fender Roller Tool Box Question??

I used that roller on my car back in the day. Just a question but isn't that box big for something that has to be shipped around?

Actually, it isn't that big considering I put in 3 layers of foam to protect the tool. It's 12 inches (L) by 16 inches (W) by 8 inches (H). If you look at the picture, I placed the roller as close together as possible and the parts are also stacked. The foam layers are roughly 2 inches thick. Considering the weight of aluminum, reducing the dimensions by a few inches wouldn't really be worth the savings in weight.

Here is another picture, without the foam:

P8184215.JPG

Will UPS ship it with the hasp on the front? Maybe a inset lock with the key in an envelope on the top???

I think we should all put a sticker on the inside from our location so we can see where it has traveled. Kind of like an old steamer trunk.

Mel

I actually checked with UPS prior to building it. I asked them about putting a combination lock on it and they had no problem with it. They actually said as long as it's a box, it was OK, they didn't even have any requirements for the material it's made of.

I was actually thinking we could put one of those new StangFix stickers on it.

Nice work. It's a fine tribute. :wald

Way too nice!! But John would still give it a big :thu

Question I have is, are you planning to ship it, as is (putting a ship to and return label on the bare metal) or place that box in a shipping box? UPS, Fedex, etc are known for beating up everything they ship.

With that in mind, how big or how much will the final shipping carton be/weigh?

Oh and yes, it will have a couple SF stickers.

I like the box and may need the tool, had no idea it existed... is there an official waiting list?

Yes there is a list. PM me with your location and how soon you need it.

Now, if Arthur can ever finish puttzing with the new box, maybe we can get it on the road to Calif ? :confu

OK, so here is the shipping comparison. The aluminum box weights 6 pounds more than the cardboard box does, but it's measurements are smaller. I picked some random destinations and estimated the package to be worth $300. Dimensions and shipping charges are as follows:

Aluminum Box vs. Cardboard Box
Length------------------------12"------------------------------------15 1/2"
Width-------------------------16"------------------------------------19"
Height--------------------------8"-------------------------------------8 1/2"
Weight-----------------------10lbs----------------------------------4lbs
Cost to ship AZ to CA---------$25.30------------------------------$21.26=$4.04 Difference
Cost to ship AZ to TN---------$36.49------------------------------$30.15=$6.34 Difference
Cost to ship AZ to OK---------$28.30------------------------------$24.25=$4.05 Difference
Cost to ship AZ to VM---------$45.69------------------------------$37.63=$8.03 Difference

P8194242.JPG

P8194244.JPG

So that is the scoop, on average $6.00 will be added to the cost of shipping and protecting the $300.00 tool, and to answer Craig, yes the plan is to ship it as is and put an address sticker right on the old box...it was scrap 1/8" aluminum, so let UPS do their thing with it. I'm curious as to how my practice beads will hold anyway! IMO, they are "crude, but effective."

Finally, anyone know where that quote is from?

Nice work and I think its a fine addition. So many times I've had something heavy break thru a cardboard box and was mia upon arrival. It gets a :thu from me.

Looks great, how can I get my name on the list to use it!

So, do you guys just shipped it to the next guy or what? I think it's awesome to have a community tool.
Bill

"67 Fastback" said:
So, do you guys just shipped it to the next guy or what? I think it's awesome to have a community tool.
Bill

No, I try to determine who needs it, where they live and how urgently they need it. I'll then give instructions to who currently has it, where it needs to go to next. Trying desperately in minimizing trips back and forth from coast to coast. Who ever the tool is shipped to, needs to reimburse the previous user, the postage unless they have an active Fedex or UPS account. PM me with any questions you have. Just don't bother ZFORCE for he's busy finishing up the box and roll dem fenders........

And I was 1st on the wild trip around the country! :bowdown

sometimes life is good

Instead of reimbursing previous user, why not just have the current user pay to ship to next guy?

Back