• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Journey of Steel eleanor hood.

S8NS 289

I have been trying to figure out a way to do this for a while and came up with 2 options. 1.Section the hood in the middle and move the hood hinge, 2. Add to the front and add to bottom/frame for strength I chose to try number 2 first, I cut out the hood hinge/frame of a donor hood. and cut the skin adding 1/2'' of hood skin to wrap around the frame. The front of the hood is not even close to matching the lines of the eleanor nose and will need modification. AZpete was dead on in the front to back taper every 6-7" the hood runs back it widens around 1/2" so cutting off 7 1/2'' i will need to grind a couple cm off to get the gaps half way decent.I will clean all the surface rust off if i get it close enough to use. I have 2 more hoods shivering in storage.
IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be watching this closely! If you come up with a good plan I will try it too. I have two hoods and maybe a third I can get cheap.

"tarafied1" said:
I will be watching this closely! If you come up with a good plan I will try it too. I have two hoods and maybe a third I can get cheap.

Before you do, you need to trade me a regular hood for this turn signal one I got here :roll :beer

Bill

my regular hood has a Boss 429 hood scoop and a big hole in the middle..., the other hood I have is a turn signal hood but rusty. The third hood I might get is also a turn signal hood but it's bent.

"tarafied1" said:
my regular hood has a Boss 429 hood scoop and a big hole in the middle..., the other hood I have is a turn signal hood but rusty. The third hood I might get is also a turn signal hood but it's bent.

I'll take the one with the big hole :roll
Bill

here's a picture or two...
the one with scoop/hole
72_04_10_10_4_44_04_0.jpg

the rusty one
72_25_11_09_8_46_09_4.jpg

I'd be happy to trade, I'm hoping to cut it up and make a steel Eleanor hood, so it doesn't mater to me

I have plans to cut a flat hood out to put a 67 shelby scoop on it to gain clearance, so the hole is already there :confu
I'd trade you in a second. PM me later or so. We still got to get together sometime anyhow.
Bill

well good news-got some work in on the hood
bad news-I don't know what to do next
I skinned the rest of the front of the hood and crimped the edge so it would slide under the other one, I cut 4" of skin off the other hood. Once i slid it under for a test fit i saw the hood lines did not line up so.... Here is my thoughts.... If i cut 1/8" off both sides of the middle bump line both the hood and weld it back together/It will probably Bow/Warp everything else.. It's been smooth untill now... ANY advice?? except buy FG-I'm gonna mess around with it 2morra.
IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

I think you will have to narrow one hood and widen the other in order to get the flow correct. Maybe a bit of sheet metal over lay after beating down the current skin..... I would lay some tape lines to get the look you need and build things with a temp type filler material to see what you need for the look to be good. In the final. I would avoid any bondo/fiberglass to prevent cracking.

I think your correct- I'm wondering if i could use some high speed glue instead of a solid bead of weld if i narrowed the green nose? The tape idea is great I'll run some FineLine down the middle of the hood bump.

I think you can leave the blue hood since it matches the fenders. You will obviously have to take some out of the green hood to make it continue to be narrower. I wasn't sure how to go about that either. Since you don't need to take much out the width of whatever you use to cut it into sections will be critical. I think you can tack weld it back together without warping if you butt weld and skip around.

It may be deceiving in your picture, but how is the gap between the headlight bucket area, and the hood? It looks like the hood needs narrowed there too and not just where the green one meets the blue?

the green hood needs to be sectioned like he said into three parts (or like Pete says)

since the Shelby/Eleanor nose is longer and the hood is tapered it will need to be narrower as it goes forward. The green hood just needs a little taken out

Attachments

• Steel E hood sketch.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 15
I think it would be best to make the cuts close to body lines coming down the sides of the hood. Make the cut about 1/2" in from where it transitions from the side to the top flat center section. With the cuts near the curve, you'll get less warping than in the middle of to relatively flat panels. Also it will be a lot easier to trim the side "wings" to match the features coming down the sidewall as well as the fender extensions. My guess is you ar going to need to follow the sidewall path since it tapers towards the center , then add material to the edge of the hood to match the buckets.. Welding rod on the edge of the hood will easily take care of that if needed.

I would scrap the flange method idea if you are planning to weld it. With a butt weld, you won't need as much heat and therfore less less chance of warping.

e-hood-trim.jpg

Back