• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Just added a new fuzz face to our family

blu67

Everyone, meet Groot! Our 11 week old Labradoodle. Still learning the ropes around here (been 2 days so far) and our other dog is coming around to accept him.
The hard part is the crate training at night. He whines and cries (like puppies do...)
Any advice, Mark? Our other dog just needed to see us from the crate to calm down and sleep.....this guy not so much.....lol

c1166e53269d4247915315c0f39ca91d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penny did that when we first got her. She would whine when she got into the crate. After a week or so she finally gave up and now she knows it's her safe space. She goes there especially when she here's fireworks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

A little pain will result in a lifetime of rewards. The pain is listening to the whining for a few days, and the reward is having your new fur-person accepting the kennel as a safe place. My simple voice command is "kennel up". Throw a cookie in the crate as a reward/enticement to go in. (Cookie ie milkbone) A little obedience training will also pay benefits. Your fur-person wants to please you, and teaching it obedience will show him how.
FYI: 3 German Shepherds and a chihuahua.

fd

Good advice so far. It’s all about time, consistency and patience.

Work him/her during the day with crate training using high value treats. In the crate close the door and wait till he’s calm. Then open the crate and call him out. NEVER let the puppy bolt out of the crate. You should be teaching sits, downs and stays now too. Make him sit quietly before allowing him to eat. Take the food away while he’s eating. Everyone in the family has to be above the dog in the hierarchy of the family.

I could write a novel on this stuff. You have a great breed of dog. Playful and really smart. He’ll need lots of exercise.

Mark

Good advice so far. It’s all about time, consistency and patience.

Work him/her during the day with crate training using high value treats. In the crate close the door and wait till he’s calm. Then open the crate and call him out. NEVER let the puppy bolt out of the crate. You should be teaching sits, downs and stays now too. Make him sit quietly before allowing him to eat. Take the food away while he’s eating. Everyone in the family has to be above the dog in the hierarchy of the family.I

That's how Mark was TRAINED.

Back