• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kelsey Hayes 4-piston Rear Brakes + 2-piece Rotor - Hat

hivewax

i'm subscribed to roadracer on YouTube, who can be found on VMF. he has this Boss car video w/Walt + Chip Hane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-XIoYW5XT8

does anyone know how those brakes, which look like front brakes, to work out the back?! it looks pretty sweet. wish i saw this before getting the generic SSBC 10.5" kit.

Attachments

• rear-setup.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 92
What's the great benefit of that over the current aftermarket designs out there? Rear brake conversions w Ford OEM calipers are cheeeeeeeap.

Well, if you have 15" wheels like me, you don't have no options. I only had 1 option - SSBC 10.5". All the rest would hit the 2-piece wheel. The only disadvantage to the setup pictured is no parking brake mechanism. The great benefit for me would be a bigger rotor. I'm just interested for the looks.

This setup might be straight out of the Boss 302 Modifications book. They detail how to rip the stock discs off, put them on the back, and put the 12" Lincoln setup up front. IIRC that is actually what the factory Ford Trans-AM cars used back in the day too.

BOSS302ChassisMod_014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it all about balancing the Fr/Rr brake pressure to have good and safe brakes in every condition?
If the rear brakes are oversized , in hard braking , the car tends to oversteer and mostly in cornering?

"B67FSTB" said:
Isn't it all about balancing the Fr/Rr brake pressure to have good and safe brakes in every condition?
If the rear brakes are oversized , in hard braking , the car tends to oversteer and mostly in cornering?

That's what a prop valve is for.

I returned that brake kit, which would work with TTDs, and replaced it with SSBC 10.5" kit.

Correct about Boss Trans-Am cars swapping front to back... they welded up their own custom bracket to make it all fit.

"LMan68" said:
That's what a prop valve is for.

But they only offer so much reduction. Something around 57% seems the norm. If you have too much piston on the rear you may NOT be able to proportion it enough.

I'm sure this system works though, its in the vintage race Bible. I can store tools in the piston bore's of my stock of Lincoln calipers!

"Shaun" said:
But they only offer so much reduction. Something around 57% seems the norm. If you have too much piston on the rear you may NOT be able to proportion it enough.

Thats was what i try to point out.

Back