• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kick Panel w/ Speaker Pods

I have 6.5" speakers and am going to buy the kick panels w/ the speaker pods. I see that there are ones available in "ABS Plastic" that are $75 or there are ones available in "Vinyl" Wondering what the difference is in quality and looks. Sorry if this question is obvious or stupid, i just don't know the difference between the two panels. Thanks

I got the plastic, they seam to be pretty good. a lot thicker than original.
index.php

Attachments

• 29205_402877320918_222410265918_4818388_391114_n.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 124
I have had both. I used the plastic (uncovered) and they worked fine. They looked alright. I recently switched to component speakers and opted for the vinyl covered panels and they look so much better. I would not hesitate to get the covered panels if I were you. I can take a picture of the covered ones if you would like. Let me know.

"68EFIvert" said:
I have had both. I used the plastic (uncovered) and they worked fine. They looked alright. I recently switched to component speakers and opted for the vinyl covered panels and they look so much better. I would not hesitate to get the covered panels if I were you. I can take a picture of the covered ones if you would like. Let me know.

I'd definitely like to see a pic of the covered. Not to hijack the thread, but have you ever had issues with hitting the speakers with your leg or foot?

My buddy had a set of the plastic ones in his 67 and needed to do a good amount of trimming to get them to fit flushly. Keep in mind that was 6 or 7 years ago I want to say though.

"68stang289" said:
I'd definitely like to see a pic of the covered. Not to hijack the thread, but have you ever had issues with hitting the speakers with your leg or foot?

My buddy had a set of the plastic ones in his 67 and needed to do a good amount of trimming to get them to fit flushly. Keep in mind that was 6 or 7 years ago I want to say though.
I have not had any problems hitting them and they seam pretty flush with no mods... I have a picture with the kick panel off and my old speakers
I'd like to see the vinyl covered ones also.

Attachments

• Picture 080.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 101
I have the ABS ones, it took forever to find a nice speaker that would fit.

Attachments

• DSC01584.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC01583.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 99
I have a picture of the old plastic ones with my eclipse speakers. I will have to take a picture with the new covered kick panel's. The style is slightly different since my new speakers are Focal's with the tweeter seperate. I'll snap that pic tonight and post both of them then.

HI! I have the ABS kick panels too. I do tend to hit the speaker with my foot and the metal screen pops off~ kind of irritating, but I like the look. Also kind of close clearance to access the windshield sprayer pump on the floor, but it doesn't work anyway! It is very thick plastic, very sturdy. I don't have a photo, but behind the kick panel, there's kind of a shape of a speaker in the metal, is this where speakers were installed from the factory? Thus a flush panel could be used?
dne'
kickpanelspeakers.jpg

"Dne'" said:
I don't have a photo, but behind the kick panel, there's kind of a shape of a speaker in the metal, is this where speakers were installed from the factory? Thus a flush panel could be used?
dne'
kickpanelspeakers.jpg
to the best of my recollection, if a 67/68 had speakers they were in the door with the deluxe grille. I don't believe the factory ever put them in the kick panels.

I went through a bunch of photos looking for what I was talking about. you can just see the outline of a "speaker" template to the right of the photo. Would a speaker have been mounted there?
IMG_5730.jpg

No, but much like you I had thought about cutting that area out and welding in the curved section of a 67/8 tail light housing. Strip off the section that connects to the tail panel, then weld the socket opening shut, and you have a small box that should give clearance for a small speaker. I thought that might be an easy way to build in some clearance for smaller speakers using some extra tail light housings...

Here are the pictures. Sorry for the dirty ds floor. Still haven't picked it ups since painting the dash. The dimmer switch can still be operated but the washer pump is dang near impossible to operate. It needs to be moved over on the floor about 2" to operate normally. There isn't a problem with the clutch's movement. The vinyl does not look nearly as gray in person. I think the flash makes is look a bit lighter than it really is. It is not the same color black as my door panels but pretty close.
Old uncovered speaker kick panels
IMGP1271.jpg

IMGP1273.jpg

New vinyl covered speaker kick panels
DSC00680.jpg

DSC00677.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pics, those vinyl ones do look pretty grey, but i trust your color judgement. The vinyl ones have a different design too, i like 'em. I wont have the tweeter pods below the speaker but thanks for the pics, vinyl it is!!!

Back