• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kill Switch

Got a question but first let me say that i understand that most are going to say if a thief wants your car he will get it, and i understand that. Im just looking for a simple security feature. I mot saying that my car is anything extravagant, however for the simple fact that it draws attentions makes me want to explore this option. I am looking to install a kill switch. Can anyone give me detailed info on how to do this i have read alternator kill, coil kill as well as wiring it in at the key. Like i said im not looking for anything too advanced just a simple deterrent feature, with as much technical detail as possible. Also if anyone has a good idea for hood lock i would be open to hearing about it. Thanks in advance.

I use the simple but hidden switch to keep the joy riders at bay. :guns

I'm adding them to the 68 project now while the dash was apart.
It will have 4 switches that need to be in the correct order for it to start and run.
The pic's below are where I made the connections for the Ign/Start switchs one other inline switch will be added for the ign
and a coil killing ground (am using points still)from the tach will be added later during the build.

Starting with a red/black wire 6' long, I cut the wires going out thru the firewall plug on the inside for the Ign+ and the brown start to the sol and added the 6' loop inline.
When I get to where I want to locate the switches, all I need to do is cut the loop and place the wire on the lugs.

Will add more as it goes on.

ps. the red line shows the pink ign res wire.

On our cars I run a lead from ground to a hidden switch and then to the neg. side of the coil. The car won't start even if they hot wire the thing.

I have a locking shifter on the automatic, shut off on the elec. fuel pump, and paid up ins. I am not sure I would want it back after being stolen.......and mine is driven daily and parked any place I want to.

There are 3 kill switches that need to be on in order to start her. Ignition, fuel pump, and battery. Previous owner installed all those (required for racing?) and I'll probably keep them all but hide them. They are in plain sight right now.

I've parked Gertrude in lots of different store parking lots while I go in to shop... and the driver window doesn't roll up. No one has taken her yet. :shrug Some days I wish they would.

As said many times, if they have a truck, it's gone. I try and stop it from being taken without a truck. On the cars with elec. fuel pumps, we have a cut of for that too.

I like using switches in the car for other things than Ford did. On our 65 coup, I use the dimmer switch to turn the fuel pump on and off. The high beams are hooked to a switch under the dash. The car has no heater so the fan switch runs the electric fan on the radiator. The wiper squirter switch runs the line lock. All you gotta do is rewire the cars and don't forget what you did to what car.

Fun times :beer

"hawkdriver" said:
Also if anyone has a good idea for hood lock i would be open to hearing about it. Thanks in advance.

What year is your car? I have a couple ways I've used on '67/'68 style but they hood latching/hood changed every couple years. It would help to put your major car info. in your sig so you don't have to repeat for each question - yr., model, engine, trans, brakes, etc.
Jon

"hawkdriver" said:
Got a question but first let me say that i understand that most are going to say if a thief wants your car he will get it, and i understand that. Im just looking for a simple security feature. I mot saying that my car is anything extravagant, however for the simple fact that it draws attentions makes me want to explore this option. I am looking to install a kill switch. Can anyone give me detailed info on how to do this i have read alternator kill, coil kill as well as wiring it in at the key. Like i said im not looking for anything too advanced just a simple deterrent feature, with as much technical detail as possible. Also if anyone has a good idea for hood lock i would be open to hearing about it. Thanks in advance.

I use a gas cut off switch. And the reason is if a crook can't start the car they will probably trash it before they leave. With the gas cut off it will start and then die. Making them think it's out of gas.

I have the readily available locking hood pins that use a barrel key on the 67. I plan to put the battery in the trunk on the 65 and run a dual battery with a marine battery switch in the trunk. They have an on-right-left-both-off position on them. Once you stop you open your trunk and turn the electrical system off.

I may put the switch that Pete has on the 67. I like that idea.

Both of my cars are manual trans, so if someone wants them they are gone. Just open the wind wing and put them in neutral and push them on to a trailer.

Mel

Back