• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Last Track Day of the Year!

Mach1ne

We had our last track day of the year yesterday and I survived once again. I actually made it through five track days this year and had a blast.

We had over 40 cars yesterday so things were interesting.

My only causality on the car this year happened yesterday while going down the straightaway at 110 mph. The bezel flew off of my oil temperature gauge, smacked me in the chest, and was gone. I guess I should consider myself lucky and that was the only thing that happened this year.

Mark came out and instructed for the day and rode with me one session. Here is the list of cars Mark got to go for joy rides.

Ferrari F430
Dodge Challenger
Pontiac GTO
My PJ
Nissan 370Z

I think he had fun doing it.

We will see what he has to add.

I've said it before; A day at the track beats working!

Yesterday was definitely a good day (bout time). Since the car is down for the count, I thought I'd go to the track and watch everyone else has some fun. Once there I was talking to the HMFIC and he said they could use instructors. After I turned around to see that no one was behind me I said.....Oooooooo Kaaaaay.

First session out the instructors drove the novice's cars (at a slower pace) and we did a lead-follow. I got to drive a new SRT Challenger and was quite impressed with the torque and braking capabilities! Sadly I was not able to see what it REALLY could do and in hindsight am actually thankful for that.

Second session out I was asked by a really nice guy to ride with him and give him some pointers. I reluctantly obliged. Sadly, I did not get any video of the car in action. I didn't want to RUIN the experience. I just sat in the car and gave direction to the driver while doing my best not to squeal with joy :ecit
The car? nothing special, just your ordinary, run of the mill, 1/4 million dollar Ferrari F430 ragtop. There were 2 of them at the track yesterday, here is a pic of one along with Skip's ride.

Trackday10610.jpg

Third time out I rode in Skip's track beast. I've heard it go around the track from outside the car and to be honest, it doesn't sound all that mean. Inside the car it's a completely different story. It has a deep mean growl when the go pedal is mashed and really hauls the mail!!
Not much to tell about the ride in the PJ. It was a great drive by Skip and he really didn't need any of my help. More seat time and deeper braking into the corners is all he could work on.

Next time out I was asked by the Ferrari's driver's brother (also a newb) to ride along with him in his new Pontiac GTO.
Another new car with tons of power and ridiculous brakes! He was driving the car just over what the tires would allow and was pushing the car through the some of the corners. Coming around the 11-12 combo he was going too fast and was sliding straight off the track. I watched as he kept cranking on the wheel without lifting a bit to transfer some weight back to the front. I'm thinking to myself "if the tires grap with that much steering imput and that level of power...we be going into the left wall" :ep At the last second just as the right side of the car leaves the pavement he lifts and cranks back on the wheel which prevented the car from shooting back across the track. I think the grass saved his arse this time!
I had him drive into pit lane and they checked the car for damage and I talked to him about what he did and what he needed to do.
We went back out and worked on his line and better speeds through the corners. I think he started getting the idea that to go fast you need to slow down.

My last run, another Intermediate guy in a 370Z asked me to ride with him. That car was a blast to ride in. His lines were good, the car handled really good and it had gobs of higher rpm power and awesome brakes. That was the story of the day....Brakes...man were these new cars capable of some ridiculous braking ability.
As I was riding in the Z, I was quite impressed with his heel-n-toe downshifts. The rev matching was spot on and sounded great. When we were back in the paddock I told him how impressive that was. He started laughing and then told me it was not him. The car rev matches each downshift all by itself :ep :amaz

My final thought on all the cars I rode in is that there were a bunch of spoiled drivers out there :lol Yes, there is a tad bit of brake envy there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, forgive me if I'm wrong here but that sounds like more fun than when your car is there!

Funny man!

While it WAS fun, it still can't hold a candle to actually driving. I kept hoping the Ferrari guy would ask me to drive his car.

"silverblueBP" said:
Funny man!

While it WAS fun, it still can't hold a candle to actually driving. I kept hoping the Ferrari guy would ask me to drive his car.

The Ferrari guy must be a "guest" reader here then.... just sayin.

Back