• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lincoln Aviator 4.6 swap into 99GT

tarafied1

My son bought a 2005 Lincoln Aviator (glorified Explorer) for the DOHC 4 valve 4.6. He also has all the Mach 1 parts for a shaker. He is building a "Co-Bullitt-1"
He has Cobra front and rear bumpers, Cobra side skirts, Cobra rear deck lid spoiler, Bullitt sail panels, Mach 1 hood and shaker. He is going to use the Aviator theme too. Since Many Mustangs play off the P-51 he is incorporating the Aviator (Pilot/flyer) concept into some how.
14938364_10207750227859270_2891089914864672599_n.jpg

He paid $800 for it. Runs rough and won't idle. Need to sort out what sensor(s) are bad. But motor sounds okay. No knocking or anything. It's running way too rich. You can smell the fuel in the exhaust and plugs are wet. But still a good deal I think.IMG_6929.jpg IMG_6927.jpg

There is a rubber elbow on the back of intake going to the pcv valve, almost guaranteed to be collapsed and have a hole in it.

There is a rubber elbow on the back of intake going to the pcv valve, almost guaranteed to be collapsed and have a hole in it.
[edited] I didn't see a pcv valve. okay, after reading this I looked up on google the pcv valve. It does not look anything like the pcv valves I am used to! so I went out and looked at it with a flashlight. The elbow hose right at the pcv valve looks like it is collapsing. No visible hole but we will change it and see what happens. Thanks!!!
2012-08-20_222104_05_aviatar_pcv_valve.gif

Last edited:
Maybe I was mistaken, check the other hose in the picture right near the PCV, check it at the rear of the intake.

No, you were correct. I just didn't recignize the PCV valve. It's got an electrical connector and looks like a sensor or something. The elbow hose was collapsed. It didn't appear to have a hole in it but it looks bad. I am flying today but I told my son to change it. I'll let you know if that helps. Thanks.

You need to check the other one. The one on the back of the intake is the one that commonly fails.

20161108_164052_zpsuvmhu7n2.jpg
This one came off an 04 aviator, it's hard to tell in the picture but it's torn in the caved in part.

We are on the same page. That's a lot like the one I found. My son changed it today. He said it helped but it still won't idle. Must be another vacuum leak somewhere. He did say that it didn't blow as much smoke but still smelled pretty strong of fuel.

So you changed #1 in the illustration? The one in my picture is in the top left of the illustration, its not fully pictured.

So you changed #1 in the illustration? The one in my picture is in the top left of the illustration, its not fully pictured.
yes #1 in picture, the one you show (on the other end) "looks" okay. May go ahead and change it too.

did yours throw any codes like a lean condition? We can't keep this one running long but I would think as bad as it's dumping fuel it should throw a code!

Check the MAF sensor, try at least cleaning it. Also pull a few plugs, check the gaps.
we pulled all the plugs. I cleaned them and checked the gap. They are okay. They were wet and sooty but cleaned up fine. No oil or carbon. gaps were in spec .052" I think.
I will try to clean the MAF
thanks for the help

Does it run ok when you give it gas to keep it running? IAC could be sticking or faulty.
it runs rich all the time, blackish smoke from exhaust even at higher RPM's. The smoke has lessened since changing the hose my son reported but still smells of fuel and plugs are wet when he pulls them out after running.

we did some testing when I got home today. He rented a noid light to see if the injectors pulse and are not on all the time. We could also verify that the throttle position sensor works because while cranking if you open to WOT the injectors shut off. Both things checked out. I also wanted to see if the injectors might be leaking when not open so I pulled the fuel rails and zip tied the injectors to the rail. With them unplugged so they wouldn't open, we cranked the engine. No visible fuel. I know we had serious pressure cuz when I cut the first zip tie, the injector launched like a rocket!. Before I cut the zip tie I did plug one in and crank it. the spray pattern looked good. I wanted to test compression, but I loaned my compression tester to someone and don't recall who. It has never come back so I need to buy a new one.
In the mean time since we thought the fuel system seems normal we would look at other things. We (He) replaced all the PCV hoses and any other suspicious looking vacuum hoses but it still is hard to start or won't start and won't stay running if it does start.
So we thought while we do have spark, maybe it's weak. We borrowed the COP coils from the 99GT but they wouldn't fit in the DOHC valve covers. They have tabs on them to bolt down to the intake. The DOHC engine uses a cover to hold them in. So we put the DOHC COP coils on the 99GT. It did start but it was hard to start. It ran but it did back fire once while cranking. We shut it off and it didn't want to start again. So rather than flood it we put the 99GT COP coils back in and it fired right up.
So we may be on to something. COP coils and new plugs are going to be several hundred dollars but not a bad investment. He doesn't have the funds right now (he borrowed some from us to buy the thing in the first place!),but I think he will buy a couple per paycheck. With his discount he is looking at just over $400 for 8 coils, plugs and the boots.

Last edited:
Probably be good idea to run a compression test before investing too much. Doesn't the parts store he works at have a tool loaner program?

Back