• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

LoJack

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
I use LoJack in the generic sense. There are theft deterrent systems and there are ones that will track the cars location. For my job, we are a small company, we have trackers on the company trucks. As the service manager I have access to the tracker. They plug into OPD port under the dash. So I am able to see the ignition off or on, location, speed... Vintage Mustangs do not have ODPs. Does anyone have such a device on their vintage Mustang? I am only thinking about this and just wanted options.

fd

I use LoJack in the generic sense. There are theft deterrent systems and there are ones that will track the cars location. For my job, we are a small company, we have trackers on the company trucks. As the service manager I have access to the tracker. They plug into OPD port under the dash. So I am able to see the ignition off or on, location, speed... Vintage Mustangs do not have ODPs. Does anyone have such a device on their vintage Mustang? I am only thinking about this and just wanted options.

fd
We use Geotrak for our company trucks.

I had always thought that the LoJack stuff came with a GPS box.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LoJack has options for classic cars. There are a ton of other systems as well.

https://www.lojack.com/products/stolen-vehicle-recovery-classics/

I guess it depends on your situation if such a thing makes sense. I never leave my car out of my sight except when it is locked up in the garage at home. I suppose over time I might get a little less paranoid over it and could see maybe using something like LoJack. I l already have an alarm on it and a couple hidden features to prevent its theft. I think making it harder to steal is likely a better first step. Battery cut-off. Ignition kill switch. Electric fuel pump kill switch. All hidden separately too. I thief should get frustrated long before he gets my car started. I'd like to switch over to over to one of those electric emergency brake set-ups too. Locking up the back wheels would help prevent it from being rolled/towed away.

I did do a little google before I posted here. Caught a post from the VMF and the one thing said that I do agree with is that if someone wants your ride they will get it. But the thread is a little dated as no one really mentioned GPS tracking, and one other titbit is that JohnPro was in the thread. But the point is if someone has a flatbed and can drag your ride up on it then it is gone. With GPS tracking you can be notified it it is moving and where it is. For my work we use GPSTrackit. Again hidden kill switches, fake coil wires and other types of start kill devices will not stop a tow truck.

fd

Ping is the least expensive I've seen. It is a GPS tracker that costs $129 for the device and 3.99/mo, which is $47.88 per year. It is USB chargeable, and car adapters for USB charging are of course readily available. I haven't tried it yet but that's my best candidate so far.

Be careful. Look into exactly how the tracking and notifications are done. I had an early version which relied on cell phone reception for notification. There are a lot of places which the cell service it uses is spotty or not at all. Also note that the device may need a unobstructed view of the sky....sort of limits things.

Be careful. Look into exactly how the tracking and notifications are done. I had an early version which relied on cell phone reception for notification. There are a lot of places which the cell service it uses is spotty or not at all. Also note that the device may need a unobstructed view of the sky....sort of limits things.
every one of those points is correct, and you have to evaluate your situation. I believe this uses AT&T

Last edited:
I think you are way over thinking this, Tim. Bad guys are not going to roll up with a flatbed and hook up your car. If you had a BOSS or a Shelby things change a bit. Put in a couple simple "kill" devices and you're 95% safe. Just make them less than obvious. Devise a good hood locking system even better. This is why I made an interior "pop" handle for mine. Alarm will be going off before they can even get under the hood.

Lastly, if you really think someone can take your car a reputable tracking device/service can't hurt.

The sad reality is you are more likely to have your car damaged/vandalized by some jealous idiot or absentminded admirer.

Back