• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Looked at a old car to buy today...

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I ran across this guy at a gas station, who was filling up an old VW bug. He said he had a '64 T-Bird project, and might sell it off. Last night, I got a call from him, saying he wanted to give me first chance to buy it before he put it up on Craiglist. So...today I went to look at it. He had redone the front after sandblasting it, so suspension and steering was there, making it a roller car. Fenders looked OK, but doors needed sandblasting to see what was under multiple coats of paint. Engine had been torn down, he claimed it measured good down the bores, and he had a quote for $500 to put it back together (yeah, right). Floor pans still needed to be welded it. Had two sets of glass, bumpers, etc., as this was the second attempt for him. He's going to list it for $2500, which is perhaps a bit high. I would have gone for that if the engine hadn't been torn down.

I love these old 'birds, and a new project wouldn't be bad (don't know where I would put everything, though). Having to rebuild an engine put it over the line for me on this particular car.

At least he did give you a chance to see it. To bad, we could have tried a bunch more of them mirco breweries thingys......

"70_Fastback" said:
Why don't you want to do an engine rebuild? To me, that is one of the most exciting parts.

I've never done one, and I keep seeing prices of $3500+ and a lot of folks have problems with startups (wiped cams, etc.). The mechanic he got the quote from was one that Pete and I already saw, and we were not impressed.

I know where there is a 64 bird locally. All there, no rust to speak of.

Cheap! Was a 428 car. Engine is coming out and not available with car. Could prolly be had for 1k or less.

"Sluggo" said:
I know where there is a 64 bird locally. All there, no rust to speak of.

Cheap! Was a 428 car. Engine is coming out and not available with car. Could prolly be had for 1k or less.

I don't think 'Birds had 428s until 1966...?

Midlife, T-Birds are cheap--pass this "deal" up and keep looking.

"DeadStang" said:
I don't think 'Birds had 428s until 1966...?

Midlife, T-Birds are cheap--pass this "deal" up and keep looking.

Dunno for sure. I do know a 428 came out of it. Maybe it was a transplant.

Back