• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Looking for ecommerce web site info

A

Anonymous

Anyone have any experience with setting up an ecommerce web site?

I will be needing one soon, but have never put together anything this important / complicated. It will need to show items that are for sale, descriptions and pics and then be able to purchase with C-card or Paypal.

Is there really a market worthy of all this effort just to sell a bunch of blown up engine parts?

"Horseplay" said:
Is there really a market worthy of all this effort just to sell a bunch of blown up engine parts?

You were one of 23 people I knew would go there right out of the gate. Now that we have that out of the way...Anything constructive to the topic at hand.

DB

There might be a question of scale with the advice I can offer ;)

You just need to find a cart that will interface with paypal and you can take CC or Direct Payments. Just have to be willing to pay the feeds.

Here is an example of a low cost solution
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/ecommerce/

If you have an domain now your hosting company may already be providing you with cart services and then its just a matter of putting your catalog information out there (either by loading it into a database if it is a larger catalog or simply manually adding it).

For instance hostgator offers free magneto webstore as part of their business plan
http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

What Nick said.

Most companies like HostGator, Hostmonster, Blue Host etc, Use cpanel as a way for you to interface your account. As part of that the are several solutions at your disposal to do what you are needing and more.

MCA uses HostGator, but it was hit with various viruses this year. I don't know if it was the source code behind the scenes that allowed the viruses or if it was uploaded inadvertently into the forums.

I used os commerce and it wasn't too easy. I too have cpanel with hostdime.

You can pm me anytime if you need some help. I tried yahoo but didn't care for the interface.

"blue65coupe" said:
Screw that Mark. Go old school. Cash and carry. I really have NO input or experience on this.

That is why KK isn't the top dog!

"silverblueBP" said:
That is why KK isn't the top dog!

As much luck as I wish you, I will lmao when you open that bill every month and see how much you're paying in cc transactions. Those processing companies make a freakin' killing. You get pissed at the gov't now and what you "pay", you wait brother. Then some jackwad is gonna need to see/question his statement because his wife is spending too much money. You'll get a form, have to dig through a couple months of cc rec'ts to find the one where she spent $3, and fax a copy. Oh yeah, when you have to buy change (coinage) from the bank, most CHARGE YOU for that. You take them 3 ben franklins and get $300 in coinage....WRONG!!!!!! It might cost you a couple bucks. "That cost how much?! What's wrong with you man? I can get the same thing at xyz for half the price!...Uh hey bud, that ________ you sold me don't work. No, I didn't bring it in."

(Good luck brother, seriously. But have fun accomodating Charlie Rangel and Maxine Waters.

Damn, I didn't know it would be hard...I'm out. I'm gonna go get me some obama money.

"silverblueBP" said:
Damn, I didn't know it would be hard...I'm out. I'm gonna go get me some obama money.

Oh yeah, I just opened the bill for our business license. It's an annual thing. Check your city zoning before you decide on a storefront sign. DOT will also have some new regs which will require changes to parking...even if in stripmall. Love ya brutha!!!!!!!

Renovations to existing building???? Very likely there are some new ADA regs you'll have to accomodate. Let's see, what else can I come up with to assist you........

Both Amazon and Ebay both have a marketplace solution as well that may or may not meet your needs.

Any idea how many SKUs you will have in your catalog? Are you selling a specialty product like "high output alternator conversions for vintage mustangs" which might only have 10-15 products in your mix or more general...like performance or OEM replacement style parts of all varieties that top thousands?

Do like some....quietly sell wire things out of a garage and sleep on the cash......lol

Many hidden charges depending on what way your business operates.....on line only or with a storefront.....

The cost of getting change is true.....I did the banking for a large operation before the net was a big thing...

Back