• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

M-6007-X302E Question

CUAviator

"I wanna go fast..."
Greetings all. I've got a 65 Fastback with said engine (M-6007-X302E) in it. Don't judge, it came with the car and serving its purpose. However, the car also came with Dakota Digital gauges so they only display an absolute numerical value - no ranges. Ergo, I was wondering if anyone knew what the normal ranges for Water Temp and Oil Pressure should be for this engine. I've searched the internet machines high and low and can't come up with any answers.

Typical oil pressure on a low mileage small block like yours should be 50-60 psi, depending on engine temp and rpm. Engine temp will be determined by thermostat temp value mainly. With a well functioning cooling system (rad and fan) I wouldn't expect it to run any hotter than maybe 200 in normal driving situations.

Your question struck me as kind of odd but maybe I'm just not following your thought. Doesn't the present gauge show values as changing from cold start on through hot operation with temp and oil pressure fluctuating as contributing factors change now from which you could establish the range yours experiences?

And why would anyone judge that engine negatively? That's a nice little crate piece you have! Personally, I'd be much more prone to bash your gauge set-up. Not a fan of that one. Now their newer VHX system is another matter. I like that one quite a bit.

Awesome - thank you.
To answer the question about my experiences with the numbers and my engine - I haven’t driven it all that often and have never known what they should. The fuel and speedo are all over the place so I just never knew what to expect. The temp does get to about 210 periodically it what I would consider pretty benign slight traffic.
As for the gauge cluster - trust me! I am dying to get rid of it! You can judge me all you want in that. Again, came with the car.

what's wrong with having a M-6007-X302E engine? I have never heard of one before but after checking with the Google it seems okay to me. (This is coming from a guy building a 502 BBF so I really don't know).

I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. But if you read through a bunch of blogs, people put them down pretty good. Again, it was only a year old when I bought the car, it’s got efi, short headers, Borla exhaust, and enough torque/power to make shifting a b*** when trying to turn a corner. My dad almost drove us onto the sidewalk when turning left at a stoplight.
I digress - lots of people will say “for the money, you should have...” but I didn’t put it in the car, and I’m not taking it out Which makes it perfect for me.

That is a damn solid crate engine. While others will tell you they could build more for less, they may not be as dependable as the Ford crate. I would choose it any day over a local shop building engines, unless you know the shop is extremely knowledgeable.

"Normal" operating temp should be 200-210*F. A little higher under constant moderate load and lower under constant deceleration, like down a long grade. Oil pressure, with a standard oil pump, should be around 45 psi with the engine warm and at road speed.

Back