• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mark...puppy ?

RustyRed

Mark...any tips on this one?

Buster is making progress on his house training. He'll go to the door now when he needs a potty break. Problem is when we are distracted and don't notice him standing at the door he won't wait long till he gives up.

He needs to bark or whine or something so we see him standing at the door.

Any tips or advice?

He's found his "barker" in the last week. Think he scared himself the first time he barked, LOL! But he barks more now than he used to when playing or when the boys were teaching him how to go up and down the stairs.

Try hanging a bell at the door. Every time you take him out, ring the bell. Get him close enough for him to nudge the bell. It takes time!

Also, at this young age, don't wait for him to give you a signal. Take him out every hour, after playing, after eating, after napping. Don't let him think yet, it's a losing proposition! I guarantee, you start trusting him now and you'll be disappointed. It just takes time and consistency. A clue he needs to go out will be floor sniffing and going in circles.

I've had 2 accidents inside with PJ. Both times it was our fault.

"silverblueBP" said:
Try hanging a bell at the door. Every time you take him out, ring the bell. Get him close enough for him to nudge the bell. It takes time!

Also, at this young age, don't wait for him to give you a signal. Take him out every hour, after playing, after eating, after napping. Don't let him think yet, it's a losing proposition! I guarantee, you start trusting him now and you'll be disappointed. It just takes time and consistency. A clue he needs to go out will be floor sniffing and going in circles.

I've had 2 accidents inside with PJ. Both times it was our fault.

I've had some decent luck with him so far but had some accidents. Usually when I'm distracted so most are pretty much my or the boys' fault.

Found when he wakes from a nap it's straight outside for him...especially first thing in the morning.

Found other times also...such as if we're playing and he suddenly gets up and bolts off it's a clue.

Like the bell idea.

"RustyRed" said:
"cmayna" said:
Uh,,,,why is such an informative thread located in Very Grumpy's lounge?

Because we apparently no longer have a gum flappers :dun
Yes we do, but its name has changed to NonMustang General Discussion.

Back