• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

mess at home

eZ65

Got home today and the house smelt bad. Thought maybe my wife had painted again. Followed the smell into the garage and saw this...

[attachment deleted by admin]

wish i knew...I replaced the seal on it not too long ago...guess that only helped for a little while

A good indicator, if it works, it aint a repop.......... Your almost better off pulling the tank to get the seal to set right.

A good indicator, if it works, it aint a repop.......... Your almost better off pulling the tank to get the seal to set right.

I wouldn't go that far...

The weekend before last I removed and reinstalled my repop fuel sending unit 3 times while bending the arm on the sender to get the fuel gauge to read somewhat correctly. It never leaked on me. Try greasing the seal onto the tank while you're installing the sending unit. The grease will help hold the seal situated while you're carefully pressing the sending unit into the tank and tapping the lock ring around.

They only leak when the rear bumper is off......seriously buy a new seal and use vaseline when installing. Use a brass punch and ensure the lock ring is all the way "engaged".

"daveSanborn" said:
use vaseline

Thanks for the clarification Pat. Good ole vaseline is the best type of grease to use around fuel.

I had problems installing my sender, and I used a small amount of black rtv (fuel & oil resistant version) to help keep the seal in position. Plus, you get a little extra sealing power when it sets up.

Back