• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mid America Shelby Meet at Hallett June 14-16, 2012

A

Anonymous

Thought I'd post this up and see if anyone will be going.

I'll be there Friday and Saturday along with my brother. I'm meeting up with the rest of the Chump Car team that I'll be co-driving at Heartland Park later this year. I need to get some seat time in their car (66 Mustang Coupe) and figured Hallett was as good as any place to do that.

There'll be a vintage race put on by the CVAR guys, Friday at 11:30am. There will also be rides given by anyone with a passenger seat! Rumor has it that Tony will have his passenger seat in the Boss so he can scare people :thu

My plan is to arrive Friday morning at the track, watch the racing, go for some rides and then spend Saturday turning laps in the Chump car. Should be a blast!

Here's a pic of the Chump car owned and built by Ronnie and Alan.

23065d1325735940-66-mustang-chumpcar-chumpcar-1_web.jpg

"apollard" said:
Using you to do the durability testing, huh????!!!!!

Damn straight! If I can't break it one day, it should last the entire 24 hr race.

"silverblueBP" said:
Between Stillwater and Tulsa, OK. Just off the turnpike.
hmmm, might have to hang out after Power Tour and check that out. Not sure I can get all the time off I would need but we will be out there the week prior

"tarafied1" said:
hmmm, might have to hang out after Power Tour and check that out. Not sure I can get all the time off I would need but we will be out there the week prior

It's a blast!

I bet, it's just that I will have been off from work starting end of May to go to Detroit for the Power Tour. We go to Stillwater OK on the tail end but it will be the week before.

Soooo, this is coming up fast! Next Friday morning, I'm heading to the track and plan on being there in time for the vintage race. Anyone coming to the track?

I'll be breaking driving the Chump car Saturday.

Made it back from Mid America! Had a Great time, saw some really fast Mustangs and a great vintage race and got some seat time in the Chump Car.

Ronnie and Alan are the nicest hosts/owners! Got to meet another driver; Chad and his son Wayne who has the burly job of yanking the drivers out of the car and strapping us in.

I learned that even though it's a 66 Mustang, it's NOTHING like MY 66 Mustang. First off, Shaun's big Cobra brakes are too much brake for that car and crappy tires. I was sooo used to my smaller 12" Lincoln brakes, I was constantly overbraking and locking up the fronts (not a good thing when you want to go left or right). By the end of Saturday, I had them figured out somewhat and was having a lot of fun. The engine is an almost stock A code 289. In other words, this car is all about momentum, again nothing like my car! With a rev limit of 5,500, I had to really pay attention.
My biggest problem was the heel-n-toe downshifting. I've never had a problem with it and love doing it, but I need the pedals to be just riiiiight for it to work. Sitting in the car in the pits, I could do it just fine. At speed...no frigg'n way. The muscle memory built in from MY car, has me positioning my foot too far left to hit the go pedal when I roll it. Flustered the heck outta me all day. I hope doing 1 1/2 hr stints during the race will help cure that problem.

Overall was a fun weekend. Hallett is a very technical and demanding track. Not as forgiving as HPT. They ran the course CCW Thurs and Friday, and ran it CW Saturday. No biggie for me since I'd never been on the track. I will say that the "bus stop" flustered me wayyyy more than the "bitch".

Oh yeah, not a single picture. Too busy eating, drinking (water), watching, learning, riding, driving and changing tires...sorry.

Sorry ain't enough to me !!

Telling all the fun things you did in the weekend and noooo pics !!!!

Its like having foreplay and then.................................nothing .

:stu :stu :stu

Tune in to Muscle Car TV, they were taping all over the place.

Mark,

I'm thinking of making the trip next year with my car and a customers car. Is there plenty of old iron there of the non-vintage race type? Cars that would run my stuff?

"Shaun" said:
Mark,

I'm thinking of making the trip next year with my car and a customers car. Is there plenty of old iron there of the non-vintage race type? Cars that would run my stuff?

Everything I saw being sold was for new Mustangs. There were LOTS of Mustangs that were Fox body and newer. Most if not all the old iron was with CVAR. Ronnie had his personal car there as well as the Chump car and Alan had his old track car there too (but it spun a main bearing the first day).

Back