• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mini Tub Question

wayjon0

I am in the middle of replacing the trunk pan and I have been reading about tubing the wheel houses. While I was removing part of the pan this weekend I noticed the inner wheel house sits right at the edge of the frame rail.

So that got me to thinking, how do they mini tub the wheel houses if the inner is already at the edge of the frame? I tried to look around for a how to video that might show it, but no luck. I see posts where people are getting up to 2", but there can't be two inches of metal on a 68 to cut before your into the frame?

Stock placement of the inner wheelwell is usually not flush againt the rear frame rail, but outward ~1.5 inches or so.

Flush with the frame rail is about as far inward as you can go w/o creating a lot more work.

some pics from another forum I visit, this guy did the mini-tube on a 67 hardtop
67_eleanor_coupe_48.jpg

67_eleanor_coupe_49.jpg

67_eleanor_coupe_50.jpg

67_eleanor_coupe_94.jpg

67_eleanor_coupe_97.png

hard to see but it looks like the trunk mounting brackets are welded to the top rather than the sides like it was originally.
67_eleanor_coupe_119.jpg

as for the seat, I don't know for this car what his plans are but based on the Dave's son's and others I've seen the seat needs to be narrowed

Back