• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mirror cables

Mach1 Driver

I want a remote passenger side sports mirror, so I bought one for a 72-76 Torino/Montego/Cougar. Since the pedestal and the overall size of the mirror housing is larger than the sports mirror on my 69 Mach, I want to move the Torino guts over to my original mirror. To do that I need to disconnect the cables from the joystick control, and remove the cables from the joystick housing. How do you do that??
I have read that there are several versions of the joystick control. Some allow the joystick to be unscrewed. This one does not. Below the first two pictures are of mine (the Torino).
On one of the forums one of the guys said all you had to do was push down on the joystick (it is spring loaded), and the cables would pop-out. That doesn’t work on this one. You can see the crimped-on connector that seems to be going up at an angle into a hole, and the cable going down in the slot below. The guy that said just push the joystick down and they would pop out supplied the last picture. If the Torino connectors are as long as those shown here, how in the heck do you get them out of there? There isn’t slack in the cable. Its just barely at the top of the housing.
A second person said: “Removing the cables and reinstalling them was the hard part, as the slots in the knuckle were pressed closed and I had to use a pocket knife to open them back up”.
A third person said: “The cables can be unthreaded from the retainer with about twenty minutes work. Mark them well with paint as it is important to get them back in the original location”. I assume this is after the connectors are somehow removed from the joystick.
About 5 turns would be required to turn the cable out of the housing. Is this how other people have done this?
Any advice before I bugger this thing-up would be appreciated.
upload_2017-9-28_17-20-6.pngupload_2017-9-28_17-20-30.pngupload_2017-9-28_17-22-3.png

Here's the problem- If you've disconnected cables from the joystick, did the housing look like the first or second picture? I can see that the housing in the second picture allows accessibility from the sides. Has anyone successfully removed the cables from the housing in the first picture, and if so, how?

Attachments

• mirror joystick2.jpg
    mirror joystick2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 14
  • joystick3.jpg
    joystick3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 14
If anyone has done this, any pics/dimensions of where you drilled the holes in the A Pillar and passenger door would be appreciated.

Back