• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mixing paint

BigHoss

When I paint with a gun I usually wing it on the mixture. But I really wanna make this next project perfect. For example 7 parts clear and 1 part black base. Does that mean for example; for the sake of argument the paint canister holds 10oz of paint. Would you go 7oz of clear and 1oz of black base?

Get some good measured paint cups to make sure you get it right.

To answer your question, if the mixture calls for 8 parts at that ratio then yes, 7 and 1 equal eight. Using the cups makes it pretty simple and foolproof.

They make a stainless that has the ratios on it. It is very ease to use and clean. If the paint is not mixed with the correct amounts it can cause a failure due to the chemical agents not having the correct ratio to catalyze or react like they were designed. Here's a photo of what I use and you don't need a cup if using like a Binks 7 or other siphen feed gun. If using a HVLP then you will need to mix in another cup. It's always handy if theres another person that can mix so things can keep moving and will allow the correct flash time.

http://www.pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html ... Stick.html

Back