• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

More chicken cordon bleu? WTF!

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Well to say the least beachpony's recent post about this dish got me off my backside to try doing it myself. The problem was that I could not decide which recipe I wanted to try. Thus I did 3 different ones last night.

The two common things I did for all three was to first skillet the rolls for 3-4 minutes each side, set aside on a foil covered cooking sheet. Once all done oven baked the whole lot at 350 for 25 minutes or until I reached an internal temp of 170f.

Top roll of two is a modified beachpony recipe. Instead of corn flakes used a spicy panko/bread crumb topping, but still dippped first into buttermilk, and used Swiss cheese and deli ham.

Middle row was dipped in flour, then egg, then another bread crumb topping. Used swiss cheese and deli ham.

Bottom row was dipped in a chicken broth mixed with butter and garlic. Rolled with mozzarella cheese and prosciutto. Topping was 1/3 seasoned bread crumbs, 1/3 Panko crumbs, 1/3 Parmasean cheese.
peqavy6a.jpg

Today's breakfast with a roll from each dish:
5u4enydy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
and where is the review and run down on the three recipes. Which did you like better, which would you not try again?

I should know better than to look at anything in the "stangfix grill" section while i'm sitting at the hospital. They served fish tonight that looked like an old ceramic bathroom tile

OK, here's my recipe which basically represents the bottom row up in the original pic, with a few modifications.

cmayna's Chicken Cordon Bleu

Ingredients:

Broth mixture:
*1/4 cup fat free, less sodium chicken broth
*5 tsp butter, melted
*1 large garlic clove minced.

Breadcrumb mixture:
*1/2 cup each Italian Seasons bread crumbs
*1/2 cup Panko crumbs
*2 TBLS+ fresh Parmesan cheese
*1 tsp paprika

* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts halves
*1/4 tsp salt
*1/4 tsp oregano
*1/4 tsp black pepper
*4 thin slices prosciutto (option -try deli ham)
*1/4 cut shredded mozzarella cheese (option - try thinly sliced swiss cheese)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place broth in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at high 15 seconds or until warm. Stir in butter and garlic. Combine Italian breadcrumbs, Panko, Parmesan and Paprika in a medium shallow bowl; set aside.
Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and pound each to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt, oregano, and pepper. Top each breast half with 1 slice of prosciutto and 1 tablespoon mozzarella. Roll up each breast half jelly-roll fashion. Hold with a toothpic Dip each roll in chicken broth mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture.

Cook each roll in a skillet at medium heat for 2-3 minutes each side, then place on foil lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Finish remaining rolls. Even though I didn't do it, you might consider pouring remaining broth mixture over chicken. Bake at 350 for 30+ minutes or until internal temp reaches 170.

cheers

So Craig did you butterfly the breast and pound the meat? Also which version did you like the best?

I did a chicken roulade recently which for all intensity purposes is the same prep as a chicken cord bleu. I used recotta, spicy chicken sausage, onions and peppers with cayenne, S&P as my mix, panko'd the outside and it was great. Better than I thought. I also used toothpicks to secure the breast together.

I simply split each breast in half length wise. Then pounded each half. I enjoyed the bottom row the best but modified it as listed above.

Back