• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

More stupidity.........

unfortunately, those of us in the railroad industry see idiots like this every day. The crossing arms activate well in advance to warn drivers to stop. People either push the limits or think they can beat the train. The engineers really pay for it, as there is nothing they can do but run the cars over. It can be a lasting, traumatic event for the crews. I talked with an locomotive engineer a few years ago...he still has nightmares of two kid's faces looking up from the back seat of their parents' car as he plowed into them. A few minutes wait is not worth your life.

My father-in-law had all kinds of stories from 33 years with UP. Some seriously bad and stupid actions for sure.

"silverblueBP" said:
Old age does NOT equal smarts!
No, advancing age is not a guarantee of having wisdom. I do wonder what other options were available to him, though.

He was my age.

Norm

"Norm Peterson" said:
No, advancing age is not a guarantee of having wisdom. I do wonder what other options were available to him, though.

He was my age.

Norm

Other options.....stop when the bells and bars are active....... If one is so close for the bar to hit, I would think there were other hints a train was close. Plus, are the bars really so close to the track that the nose of the car would get hit if he just sat there? Sounds to me like there is more to the story.

I'm sure there is.

Leaving aside why he got caught by the gate coming down, traffic behind him. Or he panicked.

Else I suspect misjudgment about where he was stopped, which includes whether he was caught behind other traffic that was stopped and did get through.

Too many unknowns.

Norm

Back