• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mutipule electrical issues - Time for my winter projects

janschutz

Corn Hauler
I am somewhat a novice at electrical issues. I do know how to use a volt/ohm meter. So I am going to need y'alls help getting my list done.

My list for my daily driver is:
- My temp gauge does not work
- Hook up the mini tach
- Clock quit working (in pillar gauge pod)
- I am blowing the fuses for the interior lights.
- Emergency Flashers Do not work
- The front turn signal lights both blink
- I want to relocate the battery to the trunk.
- broken horn button on the flaming river tilt column
- Build a custom fuse panel in the glove box are for future mods.

I also have a refurbished under dash harness from Midlife if needed.

In what order would y'all tackle this?

The three items I would first work on would be these...these are important for the proper operation and monitoring of your car.

Horn
Front turn signal lights
temperature gauge

Everything else is a "nice to have"...

Thanks Mid. I have a rare day off on Monday and plan to pull the cluster. How do I check to see if the temperature gauge is good.

One good bit of news is it sounds like lots of your fixes can be done on the cheap. Many seem to be caused by bad connections/corrosion type issues or even simple direct shorts. The fun will be finding them!

John,
Take a jumper wire or something similar and unplug the temp sending unit at manifold. jump or ground the connection just long enough to see if the temp gauge moves. It should peg to H if it is working. The sending unit simply varies the resistance to ground as it get hotter. If the gauge does not move it could be in the wiring. You can perform the same test after removing the instrument panel directly on the gauge. If the fuel and oil pressure gauges work it shouldn't be the IVR. If your gauge is bad let me know and I'll see if I have an extra I can send you.

I believe around 5 volts. I attached an article you should find very helpful

Attachments

• Ford instruments.pdf
    268.5 KB · Views: 11
I found the issue with the temp gauge. The red/white wire in the under dash harness is broke even with the connector (in the engine bay). Instead of replacing the whole under dash harness harness just for this wire, I will make a jumper for it.

Went for a test drive and now the temperature gauge works correctly. I am going to pull the cluster next and fix one of the turn signal bulbs and hook up the tach.

- My temp gauge does not work (DONE)
- Hook up the mini tach

Adding to the list. Was able to pull the stang into the garage last night after my son and I rearranged his stuff. Now I have lights to see at night. This will allow me to work on it in the evening.

- Hook up the mini tach
- Fix the rear window defroster (NEW)

Tonight I pulling out the cluster to work on the mini tach and the turn signal indicator.
[/quote]

The turn signal and emergency flasher problems are probably one in the same problem. Try pulling out the emergency flasher can and then try your turn signals again. Wondering if the flasher can is stuck in the closed position. Who knows, it might be a simple fix.

Pulled the cluster today. Swapped the emergency flash with one from the other Mustang. It worked in the other Mustang but not this one. Could it be because of the other flasher unit is a Mustang Project one for sequential flashers. I seem to remember this from the old VMF board.

When I open the cluster housing, the left turn indicator cardboard tube was crushed. Looks like I need to make something to replace it

I got spare tubes, but they are for 65/66 dashes. I don't know if they fit the 67/68 dash clusters.

You might try various cardboard tubes around the house: AL foil, toilet paper rolls, but most will be too large. How about PVC tubing?

I can't remember the diameter of the cluster tube but how about one of those hangers for pants that has the cardboard for the pants to hang on.

Finally installed the mini tach. It was easy and I should of not put it off for 2 years. I was just nervous since I am not a electrical guy. I made a tube for the turn signal light in the cluster out of thin cardboard and duct tape.

- Hook up the mini tach (DONE)
- Fix the rear window defroster

I tried to figure out why I blowing interior fuses but found no obvious reasons. I will keep looking tomorrow.

Any one have a good source for the battery trunk relocation kit, or did y'all just buy the parts separately?

Look for shorts for the interior lights at the door jamb switches, particularly if they are the single bullet plugs. Not a good design...

Finished my battery to trunk project, now my list is:

- Hook up the mini tach (DONE)
- I want to relocate the battery to the trunk. (DONE)
- Fix the rear window defroster

I think that the horn and turn signal problem is in the Flaming River tilt I have, I guess it is time to take it apart. Hopefully if will be obvious.

Back