• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My newest project, '59 Apache Truck

Dne'

Don't fret, I stil have my mustang! (reverse went out!), that's another story;

I wanted a truck after seeing so many at the Nifty50ees. So my pre_requesites, it had to be painted(I don't want to paint a full project again in this lifetime, unless I had the facility for it), had to have a motor and drive train, , and that was about it I guess.

I found this truck on CL for 5500.oo, it does have the Pwer front disc brake coversion, so one more thing I don't have to do! :yah The lady selling it, it was to be for her son when he graduated from college, but was involved in a terrible motorcycle accident leaving him in really bad shape. She is a nice lady; I didn't feel right asking for her to take less, I thought it was an OK deal! It also have the complete wooden bed and new rails.

This is the day I went to get it, I met with the wrecker driver, and he put that truck on the truck lickitysplit!
loading.jpg

The interior has a lot to be done to. Including repairing the radio area. Actually I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that part yet. I don't think I like the interior color being the same as the truck, so thinking about changing that color to "something else", beige, tan, etc.. The column, I may leave for now. No hurries here. So I'm in no hurry to put glass in yet, but will be working on putting in one piece glass for the driver door/pass door.
interior.jpg

My lift saves the day again! Gets the truck just high enough!
onthelift.jpg

The engine is not correct for the year, but will suffice for now. It's a 230 and I'm still trying to figure out a correct engine support system. The motor hadn't been started in a few years, so I was anxious to crank it! Upon cranking it, it made a horrible noise, like something was in the combustion chamber, so I pulled a few spark plugs and pulled out some fragments, small. ok, pull the head, then pull the pistons! cylinders 1-4 were under attack! I showed Herb(engine man), he said all looked well enough, but put new connecting rod bearing while I'm there. finally cranked it up, and had play with the carburetor over and over and over again, but it runs under its own power and the 4 speed tranny(granny plus 3 gears) gets the beast down the street! No power steering, factory manual steering. This is not the original tranny either, it had a 3 on the column at one time.
leftenginesupport-1.jpg

engine.jpg

right now I'm busy getting my '57Chevy ready to leave my corral! Hopefully the man I've been speaking to in Melbourne Australia is going to come through with the money I hope(things can fall apart at anytime)~ 14k. I've tied up a few loose ends and it's pretty much ready for the truck to pick it up! This money will fund the apache!

Very cool truck. I think a tan interior would look good with that color. I've got me eye on a 55 Chevy truck right now. Have to talk the wife into it, but I have always liked the 50s trucks.
I will be watching this one.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Here's the latest photo of it. I had put a 2" lift in the rear to kind of match the front stance. The left rear spring, the center bolt had rusted and the rear axle shifted back about 3"'s! I put a new center bolt, a new rear U joint~ have yet to install the rear shocks. I'm relocating them~ just haven't got out there to make the holes in the frame. I like the stance now! maybe later on I'll drop the entire thing down, but that require some dollars, but Power steering will be in its future!
Thank you RapidR~ I need to order the radio repair patch and eventually start fixing things! Old trucks are cool!

liftkit.jpg

Looking SWEET (even if it is a Cheby)! :thu :thu

Just a thought regarding the dash. The instrument cluster looks almost (if not exactly), like a '57 Bel Air. There's a few really cool repop clusters that are out now that have all modern gauges, but keep the original feel. They look really cool!

BTW, gotta agree, different color for the interior. I'm kinda partial to grays, but a multi-tone tan or cream would look nice too!

I found this googling~ It's a nice example, though mine wouldn't be this extravagant, it does give me something to shoot for!

2Tone.jpg

That's pretty nice. Here's a nice looking apache I found.
0807clt_01_z+1959_chevy_apache+side_passenger_view.jpg

0807clt_05_z+1959_chevy_apache+interior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:thu Darn~ that is nice(understatment!) Is that a speaker to the left of the instrument gauges? I guess I'll have to spring for a new steering column, that looks much nicer! Do you think that interior color would go ok with my Burgundy color? I guess no matter what I do choose, will be a great improvement over what in it right now! What were they thinking!

I like that it is simple and not over done, but I think a darker color would go better with your paint color.
I can't tell if that's a speaker or a gauge cluster.
here's another angle.
0807clt_07_z+1959_chevy_apache+bench_seats.jpg

I've never priced anything like this one but seems you got a very good deal considering it is a running vehicle with good paint. Very cool.

That mystery item in the last truck pics looks like it could be a 4-in-1 gauge but it could also be an AC vent. Pic is too small to really get a good look.

brief
very nice model of a chebby.I love it !!
That color is awesome !! Now some chrome wheels , tinted windows and black interior. If it was mine of course.
The stance IMO must be lowered.
But I love the Apache.
Nice work you have done there :thu :thu .

Lovin the truck!! +1 on lowering it though. Probably steers a lot better at that ride height given the manual steering.

Here's a pic I found of the instrument cluster I mentioned:
1105cct-02-o-+1959-chevrolet-apache+steering-wheel.jpg

Both interior layouts posted look super sweet! Either one would look great with your exterior color. BTW Dne', if you like the floor shift and want to stay with something close to it AND run an automatic, they're called Gennie shifters. They give the look in the cab/interior of an original shifter, but have the mechanism for an automatic. Keep us posted!

OMG Ponyman! That is downright nice! clean, simple(how do you complicate an old truck anyway! lol) I'm looking at the entire dash, cabin, and instrument, I can do that! However I will have the old 4 speed on the floor unless I decide to change it. An automatic would be nice. sigh! I'm also looking how the person did the radio bezel~ that's interesting! When the '57 Chevy is sold, I'll be able to concentrate more on this truck. I'm trying to plan a little better than I did on my mustang! I wasted a great deal of time and money, this time I need to be smart and lay out a plan and stick to it! ; )

"Ponyman66" said:
Here's a pic I found of the instrument cluster I mentioned:
1105cct-02-o-+1959-chevrolet-apache+steering-wheel.jpg

Both interior layouts posted look super sweet! Either one would look great with your exterior color. BTW Dne', if you like the floor shift and want to stay with something close to it AND run an automatic, they're called Gennie shifters. They give the look in the cab/interior of an original shifter, but have the mechanism for an automatic. Keep us posted!

Thanks TB350! I'll keep this site for future reference!
I was just sitting talking with Gary about the future plans of the truck. I feel the 230 motor and 4 speed tranny(with granny gear) have to go, and I would like the stance of the truck lower, but not ridiculously lowered! Some trucks are just flat ass on the ground, has to be a functional height and now have to slow down for speedbumps too much! One person on another site was saying to install a 292 I6, but I think AC/PS brackets will be much easier to find down the line for a V8. I would like to try my hand at a fuel injected motor~ the LS1, I think, comes to mind, but that may be a little too advanced for me, but I can imagine, I think probably stay away from computer driven stuff. The interior of the truck and motor compartment must compliment the beautiful paintjob! I honestly think I'd like an automatic tranny. So I may just keep my eyes open on Craigslist for a complete motor/tranny that someone is selling. Doesn't have to be a brand new motor, but reliable! Maybe even not any chrome on the motor, and try to make it look like a motor of the day it was introduced! Just ratteling! helps me to think! I do appreciate all suggestions! ; )
dne'

"TB350" said:
This looks like it here, nice selection of colors too;
https://www.classicinstruments.com/seri ... iesCode=TF

Looks like a fun project.

I might have a line on a decent 396 if you want to go big block. It may even have a tranny with it.

I've never had any dealings with a BB, I know there's room under the hood of the apache. I think once I have the motor out in a few weeks, I can take a look at where the power steering gear is going to go relocating the parking brake stuff. Shouldn't take long to detail the engine compartment to my likings. A BB is not out of the question. thanks,
dne'

"Sluggo" said:
Looks like a fun project.

I might have a line on a decent 396 if you want to go big block. It may even have a tranny with it.

Back