• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mystery wire

66gt350

I've got a mystery wire under my dash that I'm not sure where it goes.

It all started out with doing the intermittent wiper swap...and like normal for anything that I do, it goes down hill from there. To get the wiper motor out, I had to dissassemble a good chunk under the dash due to the rat's nest of wires that I've added. So, to make a long, long story short, I did alot of rewiring of my rat's nest. It's a bit neater under the dash now (it's now down to a mouse nest), and I got everything put back in. I was just finishing up working on the wideband gauge, and I see sparks fly. I start looking and there's a wire dangling. It's either light blue or grey with a black stripe coming out of the main underdash wiring harness on the right side of the dash by the wiper motor. The wire has a factory eye connector on the end, not a bullet plug. The wire is a constant hot. I don't recall undoing this wire, but it's been 105

That's the fog lamp power lead. It goes to a 10 amp circuit breaker (a small box with 2 posts on it) mounted on the chassis.

Thanks Mid. But that brings up a couple more questions. Where exactly is the circuit breaker? The wire's not long enough to go very far. Since my car didn't have fog lights when I got it, has it always just kinda hung there? Without that attached, my fog lights work, but only when the key is on. Do I have the fog lights wired wrong?

If you now have fog lamps, it sounds like they are wired differently than what the factory had. Originally, they were an option, but the main wiring loom had a wire providing power to the CB as a standard feature. The ring connector made this feature a hazard of shorting, and was a bad design.

Simply wrap the wire up in electrical tape and be done with it.

Back