• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

NASCAR - the way is used to be

I could watch those old races all day. That was real racing to me.......but now......oh well. Thanks for that link.

When racing was for men. Jeans, t-shirt, and helmet, and see whos better. Now it might as well be a video game, damn computer controls the car anyway! Neat post thanks!

I have to agree. NASCAR definitely is NOT stock car racing any more; it's just a big marketing machine.

These days I enjoy watching some GrandAm racing and motorcycle racing (MotoGP & AMA... those bikers are NUTZ!). However, I do like to have some sort of racing on the garage TV when I'm wrenching on the Mustang; even if I'm not watchin it, I like the engine sounds.

"lethal289" said:
When racing was for men. Jeans, t-shirt, and helmet, and see whos better. Now it might as well be a video game, damn computer controls the car anyway! Neat post thanks!

Other than electronic ignition, they are still kinda like our old cars.....computer wise that is.

Growing up near Daytona, I saw the races from the early 70's thru the early 90's. Not a whole lot changed till Bobby tore the fence down at Talladega. Yeah the cars got sleeker and faster, but there was still lots a framing & baming up till then. You'd have someone win by a full lap if not more and the cars...you could tell them apart by their body style NOT color!

Those days are long gone, never to be seen again. The sport now relys on the same type of people that used to flock to CART races. It's a much higher class of rednecks for the most part and I'm just a low class of redneck. I'll stick to chasing PT Cruzers, way more fun anyhow.

"silverblueBP" said:
Other than electronic ignition, they are still kinda like our old cars.....computer wise that is.
I kinda meant how everything is over analyzed statistical mumbo jumbo. Im sure they have computers telling them how to set the car for the next race. The sport is very technologicaly driven today, and i guess rightfully so. Everyone is trying to get an edge over the next guy. But its a far cry from lining them up and seeing who can finish first.

That was real sheetmetal that was bending and twisting.I LOVE THOSE OLD MOVIES
No spotters and no radio contact.They were extremely lucky.Saw the fire truck !Love it.

Back