• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need advise on quarter panel replacement

tarafied1

so the new acquisition I have needs quarters. One of the former owners started on the drivers side, it looks like it was a full quarter but they cut out the area around the roof. I don't know why they wouldn't have tried to replace it at the factory seam. The roof area is rippled from the cut I suppose. Its not a great fit but I cleaned off some of the paint and it does look do-able. Question 1, should I cut the top of the quarter from the POS coupe and take the factory seam and then cut the re-pop quarter like a skin? or just try and make this work?
Next, I put on a trunk lid and lined it up as well as the tail light panel. It looks like the new quarter is about a 1/2" too long.
Question 2, should I toss this panel and bite the bullet and get another one, or cut a 1/2" section from this one?
I could try to cut the whole quarter off the POS, it has some pinholes in it but might be easier to fix and fit than the re-pop...

this is the POS quarter, everywhere there is silver paint is rust with holes but it's not bent. Might be easier to patch the holes in the POS quarter using peices from the re-pop?
72_25_11_09_8_46_08_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I measured all the 67's I have with a tape measure, I guess the re-pop is within an 1/8" so it must be the position on the car. I need to get some doors I guess before I can really do anymore. Then I can see if I can move the whole thing forward.

okay, I borrowed some doors from a buddy... this quarter still doesn't fit and moving forward doesn't seem like an option.
index.php

looks like its already welded to the outer wheelhouse, so wont get much movement with that done. hows the gap at the door & does the wheel look centered in the opening?

a big aluminum wing will hide that bad spot.. :amaz

It looks pretty decent at the door. Nothing welded, they just drilled a bunch of holes in preparation I think. It looks centered on the outer wheel house.
The wing idea may be a good fix!

I took the screws out and pulled the quarter off to try and move it forward, it just isn't going to work. With it moved forward so the rear lines up, it's at least 1/4" too much at the door. I could section it right over the wheel well (see tape lines), might try that first but I'm planning to cut the quarter off the POS and see if it will fit better. It may be that the frame is just too tweaked but this quarter is simply too long. Not sure but maybe I need to cut and swap the frame rails first, I was kinda hoping that I could just leave them as that will be a lot of work and they don't look too bad but it may be the reason this quarter doesn't fit. The other side all lines up with the trunk lid and existing quarter but this side doesn't. My inspector's aren't sure what's going on either...

So.....is this the point you decide to go with an altered wheel base drag car.......?

give me call before you get too crazy with the cutting & i'll tell you how to fix it.

(am i starting to sound like dave?? :eek)

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
give me call before you get too crazy with the cutting & i'll tell you how to fix it.

(am i starting to sound like dave?? :eek)

Watch out if the recommendation involves :nick.

Back