• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need help trouble shooting Wiper issues

janschutz

Corn Hauler
The wipers in one of my 68 Coupe do not work. Sometimes when I turn on the switch, they cycle a couple times but quit. When they quit, they do not home.

I have an extra wiper motor. How can I bench test the motors.

I already have the cluster out to fix an AC issue, so how should the switch be tested.

Any other help?

Start with blowing out the switch with electrical cleaner for possiable dirty contacts inside a 40+ year old switch.
Test switch operation with ohm meter for functional contacts so you know switch does work.
Next is wiper motor contacts and park lobe for function and wear moving to load test of wiper motor while its operating.

Do you have any type of 'one wipe' activator like the footpedal on the '67? I know if it's unplugged or shorting the wipers won't part but I don't know what came on the '68. Is there anything that activates the squirters/wipe other than the dash switch?
Jon

"Jonk67" said:
Do you have any type of 'one wipe' activator like the footpedal on the '67? I know if it's unplugged or shorting the wipers won't part but I don't know what came on the '68. Is there anything that activates the squirters/wipe other than the dash switch?
Jon
The 68 has the same pedal switch as the 67

Then I'd test your footpedal pump contacts with a meter. Check the schematics but the juice runs through that switch and as mentioned if unplugged they will not part so it sounds like a bad connection there or the switch is going out. I cleaned out my pedal pump, rubber conditioned the bellows, replaced the o-ring, etc. worked much better.
Jon

Back to this issue. I worked nights the last 2 weeks and did not do anything on this.

I swapped the wiper switch, still not working. Swapped the motor, still not working. I do not know if the switch and motor are good. I need to be able to test them to know if I am dealing with good parts.

The Motor has a 4 wires (red, black, white and blue). What wires do I need to apply power to to bench test the motor? Use 12V?

At this point, the dash is all apart but everything is hooked up. Does the wiper motor need the steering column hooker up? There is more room to work with it removed.

Thanks for the diagram. It got me thinking in the right direction.

When I first started to removed the motor, I noticed it was very loose. It bolts through rubber grommets. There is one bolt that has a ground strap. I believe that bolt was so loose that it was causing the ground to disconnect. I have now reinstalled the motor and bolted everything together tightly.

IT NOW WORKS! Thanks all.

Back