• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need new seats

66gt350

I'm in need of new seats. The upholstery on mine is giving out on the driver's side. And since a PO had custom interior put in the car, I think back in the '70's, I can't get it repaired or just have one new one to match. I've already been to an upholstery shop and he said that he could patch is, but it would look like crap since the since the seat have been around for awhile. Or he could make a new seat of covers similar to what I have, and that would run over $1000 just for the upholstery.

There's several options I think that I could do...

I could have get my seat frames rebuilt with new foam and seat covers. Or go with a pair of seats out of a newer mustang. Or down at the local mustang shop, the owner has a set of high back seats out of a '71 that are black in decent shape for $350.

What is everyone running for seats?

Any help and/or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks

We are running the Procar Elite seats in the 65 fastback. They are pretty darn comfortable, but a bit taller than stock seats. I am not a tall person, but my head almost hits the roof. If I were to build the car again, I would use the same seats, but lower the seat pan a bit.

I bought a pair of Pontiac Fiero seats for my 65. Almost a direct bolt-in just had to move the front bolt location on the seat rails forward a touch. They are nice as they sit low so you gain a little headroom and they also have decent side bolstering. Plus the backs are tall with integral headrests. Mine even have built in speakers in the top(not using).

This guy is pretty well know for doing nice new upholstery for them. http://mrmikes.com/

You can usually find a set of decent seats for under $200 on Craigslist and with Mr.Mike's you can recover them for as little as $400.

Back